Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to Create Drop Down List Actions?

Level 2

hello,

i was wondering how to create such drop down list action in Adobe Livecycle that when i choose one List Item it shows certain text fields under to it.

ie.

im having one drop down list that is having 2 List Items 1st is Yes and 2nd is NO.

Untitled.png

Now, if i want to show some text fields under to it when i choose Yes and hide some text fields when i choose No, what do i have to do?

also wanted to know that how to show text fields in popup box when i choose Yes.

thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

When you need to change the layout of a document in any way, you need to save the pdf as a dynamic pdf. You currently have it saved in designer as a static pdf which is why nothing happens. Just do a File->Save As and select Dynamic PDF from the list. When you preview it next time it will switch over to dynamic pdf.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 5

In your form design you will first have to add a subform to contain the fields you wish to hide/show either below or to the side of your dropdown list. Set this subform to invisible or hidden to start with.

Then use the action builder to apply an action to your drop-down list. To define an action for your drop-down list box, right-click on the list box and select Actions -> Add Action ... This will open the action builder dialog where you can set the condition for the dropdown.

For example to apply an action  based on its value (ie YES), change the Condition so that it reads "text selected" and set the next drop-down to your value (YES). In the result box, select "Show or Hide an Object" from the list, then click on the (object) hyperlink which allows you to browse the object tree. Select the hidden subform you have just added to your form and then set visible in the next drop down. This should display the hidden subform when the value is Yes.

You will then have to add another action to handle No, but this time hiding it instead of making it visible.

Level 2

i did the same way!

nothing is happening

1 opened edit action menu

Untitled.png

2 edited actions to drop down list

Untitled1.png

3 Made subform invisible

Capture1.PNG

Nothing happens in pdf file !!!

Capture8.PNG

Level 5

Looks ok from here. Do you have a sample pdf you can post somewhere and I can take a look at? Are you looking at the form in pdf preview or something else?

Level 2

im opening the pdf file in Adobe Acrobat Reader X.

here is the sample file : http://www.4shared.com/office/3L0DXn3j/Untitled1.html

and when i tried to add another action to drop down list i cant save it.

check out this image :

Untitled.png

OK button isnt clickable.

Correct answer by
Level 5

When you need to change the layout of a document in any way, you need to save the pdf as a dynamic pdf. You currently have it saved in designer as a static pdf which is why nothing happens. Just do a File->Save As and select Dynamic PDF from the list. When you preview it next time it will switch over to dynamic pdf.

Level 2

but now i cant add more actions

as you can see my last post i cant click on "OK" button

Level 5

In your screenshot, you havent set the (object) to anything which is why the ok button is grayed out. Set it to the subform you wish to show/hide. I didnt have any issues having multiple actions. Just need to make sure you complete the information in the dialog correctly

Level 2

sorry for the stupid question

thanks

all issues cleared!