4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2012 4:25 PM by Sounds_Upright

Lots of jaggies in my SD project

Sounds_Upright Level 1

Hello guys,

Its been over a year since I've open Premiere Elements 9 and I'm running into a little issue. I have an SD recording of my son with several clips in the project...at some point during the editing the video quality starts to look horrible with a lot of Jaggies (pixels are very noticeable) I don't believe it's my PC because I'm running a i5 with 8 gigs of RAM and a very powerful graphics card. I must have a setting wrong. I also remember someone telling me that I need to "render" the clips to disk as I add them to my project (that may not be the exact technical term for it) I remembered doing something like this last year but I do not remember how to do it. Any suggestions to get the video looking better would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you Bryce

• 1. Re: Lots of jaggies in my SD project
          nealeh Level 5

When you first add the clips to your timeline do they show a red line above them? If so your project setting does not match your clip. You will know if you have the correct setting because at first there should not be any line above the clips.

As you edit your clips they will show a red line above them. To get a smoother preview you can render them by pressing [Enter]. They do not have to be rendered though - it will only affect previews, when you Share your project the whole timeline is rendered regardless of the state of lines above the timeline.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Lots of jaggies in my SD project
            Sounds_Upright Level 1

Thank you very much for the response Nealeh. Yes, the clips do have a red line above them and when I render them (press Enter) the red lines go away. What's the easiest way to check and be sure the project settings match the video settings? Thank you so much for your help.

Bryce

• 3. Re: Lots of jaggies in my SD project
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Neale says, the easiest way to see if the project settings match your video is to drag a video clip to your timeline. If the project settings match the video, there will NOT be red lines above the clips until you add a transition or effect to them.

Is that he case in your project?

• 4. Re: Lots of jaggies in my SD project
                Sounds_Upright Level 1

I completely understand and I thank both you and Neale for your responses.