7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2012 10:58 AM by Jeff Schewe

ACR 5.5 vs ACR 6.3 LAB values differ!

andosg_Ryan Level 1

Hi,

My work requires me to run sampling of LAB values on images. I used to work on CS4 ACR 5.5 and now CS5.1 ACR 6.3.

However, i realize the same RAW image with the exact same setting .XMP was appearing different in both platform!

ie. the LAB values of Yellow in my image in CS4 ACR 5.5 is slightly different from CS5.1 ACR 6.3...

i am hoping to resolve the difference and hope the results can be aligned by understanding such discrepancies! Thank you so much!

regards,

ryan

• 1. Re: ACR 5.5 vs ACR 6.3 LAB values differ!
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

What color space are you using to open the images into Photoshop? Change the color space to be the same & I would expect the Lab values to match...

• 2. Re: ACR 5.5 vs ACR 6.3 LAB values differ!
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have the same output colorspace in both ACRs? 

Are you saving the files from the different ACRs to TIFs and then opening those TIFs into the SAME Photoshop, or are you opening them directly from the different ACR into their different respective versions of PS?  I ask this because how do you know the difference isn’t in Photoshop, rather than ACR? 

Are your color settings in the two Photoshops the same?  Is one Photoshop using OpenGL for color management and the other not?

What are the details of your process from RAW to Lab-sampling?

• 3. Re: ACR 5.5 vs ACR 6.3 LAB values differ!
              andosg_Ryan Level 1

Hi,

I took an image in RAW and open the same file in 2 different computer. One is window base, CS4, ACR5.5 and another one is MacBook CS5.1, ACR6.3. Then i open the file under As Shot setting, presumably both will be the same. However, the RGB, LAB values all appear different in both side.

I'm actually not sure where the difference is in, Photoshop or ACR...

I have ensured that the "EDIT", "Color Settings" is the same for both computers. Basically i aligned both computers under "North America General Purpose 2", just to testing sake, and yet both still appears different.

Then i ensured that under "Preference", "Camera RAW" is the same also. But yet still its different.

Is there any other settings that i missed out?

The way i can tell the difference is that after i open the RAW image, i will take a sampling of the LAB on the same spot on both computer.

regards.

• 4. Re: ACR 5.5 vs ACR 6.3 LAB values differ!
                R_Kelly Adobe Community Professional

Maybe the difference between Process 2003 and 2010?

Calibration tab in camera raw 6.3 under Process.

• 5. Re: ACR 5.5 vs ACR 6.3 LAB values differ!
                  andosg_Ryan Level 1

There is no such tab under ACR5.5, so which Process year is it under?

• 6. Re: ACR 5.5 vs ACR 6.3 LAB values differ!
                    R_Kelly Adobe Community Professional

I was just wondering if you by chance had changed it in acr 6.3, but as far as i know the camera files processed in cs4 acr 5.5 should open in acr 6.3 using the 2003 process.

• 7. Re: ACR 5.5 vs ACR 6.3 LAB values differ!
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

andosg_Ryan wrote:

Is there any other settings that i missed out?

Having images measure the same requires both Camera Raw and Photoshop's color space set correctly. You haven't stated what color space you have set inside of Camera Raw...click on the blue info button at the center bottom and make sure the exact same color space is set in Camera Raw. Then the same image should open and measure the same assuming Photoshop's color settings are the same.