• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Air app for android NOT prompting user to download runtime

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My app tested fine on a DROID ii but when I had a friend download the app on his DROID x the app showed an error when run. It did not prompt the user to download the runtime. Once we did download the runtime, the app worked fine.

I went through much agony renaming my package name to remove the "air." prefix for reasons that are not important here.  Could this cause a phone not to recognize that the air runtime is needed? I cannot find any documents that say that the prefix does more than help adobe keep track of air apps.

Here is my app in case it helps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dktimertrial&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bG...

Thanks.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you heard of the expression, "Tampering with this product will void the warranty"?  🙂

There's no guarantee that the process you went through to remove the air. prefix didn't break the part of the app that automatically triggers the AIR runtime request. You're basically doing things that aren't supported, so I doubt you'd find an answer to that question from Adobe.

Personally, I would look at using the captive runtime feature of AIR 3.1+ and then you won't have to worry about the user needing to download the runtime separately. If it's really that important for you to remove the air. prefix, captive runtime should fix this problem.

iBrent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply!

adobe actually does tell you that you can optionally remove the prefix (and they even give instructions) on how to do it in their "Building Adobe Air Applications" pdf.

you would think they might mention the slight hiccup that it can cause (if this is causing the issue).

i enjoy your tutorials by the way. keep em coming please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Brad, did you ever get the chance to remove the prefix as well as include the captive runtime feature? Let me know. I was able to remove the prefix from the application without any bugs and package my app with captive runtime but not at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi. i never did try that but i didn't think it would be a problem. i would create the apk with captive runtime. then rename it. sounds like this is what you did already though. just in case this helps, here is my method for renaming an apk package name:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9218641/renaming-the-package-name-inside-an-apk

let us know if you ever end up getting something to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines