8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 3:43 PM by Ann Bens RSS

L'Odyssée de Cartier

joe bloe premiere Community Member

I saw this full 3:30 piece run on US commercial TV today.

Amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Cartier?v=yaBNjTtCxd4

• 1. Re: L'Odyssée de Cartier
          Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

wow.

• 2. Re: L'Odyssée de Cartier
            Stan Jones MVP

There are several ads for them running right now. Similar stalking cat with an elegant lady somewhere in the ad. I "listen" to a lot of TV, and I said to myself, "What is that music that lasts that long during a commercial break?" "Has the program come back on?" And, "What was I watching with music like that?" Then I look, and I say "What are they selling?" "With an ad this long and so little information about the brand, it's got  to be something I can't afford." Cartier. I was right.

Very nice work.

• 3. Re: L'Odyssée de Cartier

RAPAPORT... The House of Cartier announced the international release of its new  "L'Odyssee de Cartier,” a three-and-one-half minute film that chronicles Cartier's 165-year history.  The film will debut online in the U.S. on March 4 and will air during prime time on national TV networks.

The film, directed by advertising director Bruno Aveillan, was screened for the first time at a special premiere hosted by Cartier at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York on February 29.   L'Odyssee de Cartier features many of Cartier’s iconic designs, including the "Tutti Frutti" style, jewelry of the Maharajas and a reference to the Santos watch, which was the first modern watch designed to be worn on the wrist.

The original score for L'Odyssee de Cartier was composed and arranged by renowned orchestrator Pierre Adenot, and recorded at London's legendary Abbey Road studios. The film also features supermodel Shalom Harlow who portrays the "Lady in the Mansion" alongside Cartier’s symbol of a muse, “The Panther.”

Explaining the symbolism Emmanuel Perrin, the president  of Cartier North America, said, “The Panther in the film is the ultimate emblem of Cartier's jewelry expertise and a symbol of strength and freedom. Regal and charming, she is aware of the world around her and follows her instinct with a sharp emerald eye, ready to pounce and enjoy life to the fullest."

http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=39248

• 4. Re: L'Odyssée de Cartier
                Jeff Bellune ACP

The film was beautifully produced, but IMHO, completely pointless.

Explaining the symbolism Emmanuel Perrin, the president  of Cartier North America, said, “The Panther in the film is the ultimate emblem of Cartier's jewelry expertise and a symbol of strength and freedom. Regal and charming, she is aware of the world around her and follows her instinct with a sharp emerald eye, ready to pounce and enjoy life to the fullest."

What a load of pretentious panther droppings...

-Jeff

• 5. Re: L'Odyssée de Cartier

I would agree that this is mostly a 'corporate ego' piece that will primarily

appeal to a selective audience of jewelophiles (and post production junkies).

But, this would not be the first marketing guy to blow a mouthful of flowery smoke

up their corporate bosses *** to help justify what must have been a gigantic budget.

Pretentious... you bet.  But If I had a nickel for every job I've worked that I thought was

pointless and self-serving, I'd be shopping at Cartier.

We can't all do PSAs for starving kittys.

• 6. Re: L'Odyssée de Cartier
                    Jeff Bellune ACP

But If I had a nickel for every job I've worked that I thought was

pointless and self-serving, I'd be shopping at Cartier.

We can't all do PSAs for starving kittys.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I'd never say that the production and post folks shouldn't have taken the job.  If I had the skill and opportunity I'd have jumped at the chance to work on that project.  The pretentious and self-serving target audience usually pays very well!

I know that precious gems and metals carry an intrinsic value beside their snob appeal, but the Cartier piece reminds me of a line from the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair starring Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo.  Denis Leary's detective character is about to let Rene Russo go, even though she could lead him to Crown and the painting by Monet that Crown stole.  When she questions why, he replies that in the last week he busted 2 crooked real estate agents and guy who was beating his kids to death; so if some Houdini wants to steal a couple of swirls of paint that only matter to some very silly rich people, he doesn't really care. 

-Jeff

• 7. Re: L'Odyssée de Cartier
                      Community Member

cool snake ... probably why Ann liked this ....

snake copy.jpg

• 8. Re: L'Odyssée de Cartier
                        Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

I like my cousin better....