8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 7:54 AM by BobLevine

font style linking... does it exist?

andyrams

Hi,

We have a font problem with ID CS5.

We have a font without BOLD and in windows it is easy to get over. However in MacOS it isn't. But should be.... please see the first two parts of this page

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328508.html

It is an Adobe article!!

It talks about FONT STYLE LINKS and says there is a way of doing this in OS and ID CS5.

We just cannot find any way of doing this and ask for urgent help from one of you experts out there.

Hope to hear really soon.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: font style linking... does it exist?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

andyrams wrote:

It talks about FONT STYLE LINKS and says there is a way of doing this in OS and ID CS5.

It doesn't talk about CS5 at all. What the article says is that the linking mechanism of existing fonts may differ between Windows and OS X. If you don't have a bold font, this article does not apply to your situation.

Use another font that has a bold, or purchase the bold for your font, or (least favourite option) Fake It. Read the section in this article on "Font fauxing" first! How good your Fake Bold is going to look depends on the typeface and how good you are with InDesign.

You can Fake Bold by giving the text a very small outline in the same color as the text itself.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: font style linking... does it exist?
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't told us what the fonts are that you have installed in Mac and Windows. I suspect that they are different, and that the one in Windows has style links that the Mac one does not.

• 3. Re: font style linking... does it exist?
              andyrams Level 1

Hi Steve,

Sorry, trust me to leave out some possibly vital information.

The fonts used were FOURNIER. There is no bold font available for this. The original file was done in Mac Quark in which you can select FOURNIER as the font then 'B' for bold. Quark then applies Bold if there is one available and if not will 'embolded' the type in some way i.e. create a pseudo bold.

Then our Customer insisted that they wanted the job done in InDesign. So import the data into ID5 and we get the 'Missing Font' message... sure enough it is FOURNIER-Bold.

Having read the reply from Jongware we could use the 'stroke' method but it doesn't alter the justification of the characters but we can change that too I guess.

So in respect of how we get over this we have an answer.

Thank you all

Andy

• 4. Re: font style linking... does it exist?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

andyrams wrote:

Having read the reply from Jongware we could use the 'stroke' method but it doesn't alter the justification of the characters

Nor did Quark, as I recall.

The big differnce here is ID makes you decide you want to use a bad technique deliberately, and it would give you the opportunity to instead apply a character style that would apply the stroke, add some tracking if you like, and even adjust the vertical scaling and add some basline shift so the fake bod is still aligned on the same baseline and has the same x-height as the rest of your text, though it would probably look worse than if you don't do those last two things.

• 5. Re: font style linking... does it exist?
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’m going to spell this out quite simply.

If you need bold for more than just a few words (where perhaps the faux bold techniques might be acceptable) find a new font.

Bob

• 6. Re: font style linking... does it exist?
                    andyrams Level 1

Thank you Bob,

I don't really need talking to like schoolchild but appreciate your reply.

If you had customers like mine you would have simmilar issues, I can assure you... 'The customer is always right'–even when we know they aren't!!!! The customer is aware of the issue of not having a font but has a little (dangerous) knowledge that we can 'fix' type to create most things these days, and they are not too interested in the other ongoing technicalities.

Hey, ho. A customer is a customer and work is work.

Thank you all

• 7. Re: font style linking... does it exist?
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe Caslon

• 8. Re: font style linking... does it exist?
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In that case, I’d spell it out for them like a schoolchild IN WRITING pointing out that you will not be responsible for poor output and make them sign off on it.

Bob