7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 4:28 PM by peterattrsb

Learning path for Dreamweaver newbie?

spreadman

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice one how to get started on a learning path for Dreamweaver CS5.5.

I want to be able to develop e-commerce sites and plan to use Business Cataylst to do the backend stuff.

I developed a few thing in Flash (CS3) a few years back and have a background in IT (although my programming experience is dated!) so I'm not a complete novice but know nothing of HTML/CSS.

I wonder if anyone could give me a steer on what I should concentrate on learning and if there are any particular books/resources I should consider?

Thanks in advance and regards.

• 1. Re: Learning path for Dreamweaver newbie?
          martcol Level 4

spreadman wrote:

... I'm not a complete novice but know nothing of HTML/CSS.

I wonder if anyone could give me a steer on what I should concentrate on learning and if there are any particular books/resources I should consider?

Thanks in advance and regards.

Hello

I think you answered your own question.  I came to DW as a coding novice and a DW novice and think that I got caught up with learning DW.  That set me back almost a year, I reckon.  The more you know about HTML and CSS and other web technologies, the better partner DW will be.  If you are familiar with Photoshop as a digital editor then it would be like saying the more you know about photography, image processing and camera technique, the easier it will be to learn.  Or maybe, with Illustrator, the more you know about printing and color, the easier that will be.  Dreamweaver however, in my experience is the least intuitive software unless, you have a good grasp of HTML and CSS.

If you learn well with books, then David Powers' has written a good DW manual but there are plenty others.  If you are OK with online learning then you're in luck, there are masses of resources out there.  You could try http://www.w3schools.com/  The thing I like most about that resource is the try-it-yourself onine editor that lets you test the each that the lesson contains.

Once you get started on something and can focus in a bit more, you will be able to narrow down your searches but even then, I'm sure you will find plenty.  After that, use this forum.

Martin

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Learning path for Dreamweaver newbie?
            spreadman Level 1

thanks Martin,

I get the feeling that Dreamweaver is a tool that drags everything together, and is a smart editor, but that the real skill is to master the underlying code.

Frank.

• 3. Re: Learning path for Dreamweaver newbie?
              martcol Level 4

Dreamweaver has some fantastic tools especially, its site management.  These really come into their own when you are building large sites or  many sites.  As I say, it is easier to learn when you have a grasp of the underlying technologies.  These days, I do as much in another program as I do in DW but I am glad that I persevered with DW.  I guess I am still a  novice but gradually inching my way into intermediate level!

The smart editor is the person sitting at the keyboard!

Martin

• 4. Re: Learning path for Dreamweaver newbie?
                spreadman Level 1

thanks.

i guess i'll get stuck into HTML5 and CSS3 then!

i want to use Dreamweaver because of the Business Catalyst extensions.

i won't be starting for a month or 2 so not sure whether to hang on for CS6 or purchase CS5.5 and upgrade later.

• 5. Re: Learning path for Dreamweaver newbie?
                  Ken Binney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am amazed how quickly you grasped the importance of learning and tweaking the code

Kudos to you!

web-time.jpg

• 6. Re: Learning path for Dreamweaver newbie?
                    martcol Level 4

Ken, that breakdown doesn't make any allowance for code staring which, I'm sure should be billable!

Martin

• 7. Re: Learning path for Dreamweaver newbie?
                      peterattrsb

I'm quite new to this web design but I have to say this forum has been most helpfull. If you get stuck there is always someone on here that will help.