19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2014 6:19 AM by THE_ERK RSS

Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!

jblay-design Community Member

InDesign crashes when trying to import a new article into an existing Folio. How can we fix this!

PLEASE HELP!

• 1. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
          Bob Bringhurst - Adobe Adobe Employee

Can you add the article to your folio using the Add button in the Folio Builder panel? Can you add a simple article to the folio? Can you import a simple article to the folio?

• 2. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!

Hey Bob,

Yeah, we can add simple articles and actually I think we’ve narrowed it down to specific buttons in a couple of the cases. We’ve been in touch with Adobe Support (so I guess this post is moot) but so far we’ve stumped them. We sent them files, allowed them access to our screens, they’ve looked at our files and how they’ve been built and so far no solutions.

The weird thing is how it’s happening. We can add one orientation of an article, say the vertical first. It will go up fine. Then we’ll attempt to add the horizontal, it gets about 75% thru the converting to the folio and then it crashes. We reopen the files. Then upload the horizontal orientation first, no problem. Then we’ll attempt the vertical orientation and CRASH.

It doesn’t happen all the time. Every so often, we’ll create an article and WHAM… it doesn’t work. Makes no sense. Some aren’t even that complex. One of them that won’t work has 4 buttons that link to different states of the same MSO. That’s it. And it crashes. We’ve rebuilt the article 3 times. Once using JPEGs then again using all PNGs… so frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 3. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
              mobly Community Member

I had a lot of Indesign crashes a few months ago which was due to not having the very latest minor update of indesign, Im sure you have, but just crossing all the t's :-)

Cheers

Alistair

• 4. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!

Good idea! I just checked, and yeah, I have the latest updates as well… trucking onward!

Thanks Alistair!

• 5. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                  lama-tak Community Member

have you figured it out yet?

I'm having the same problem !

I upload one orientation and when I start the other one indesign crashes !

when I import the whole folder , it crashes also .

I have the latest updates !

• 6. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!

No… I haven’t figured it out yet… hoping this recent update to Folio Builder will help some of these bugs. Good luck to you as well!

• 7. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                      Jianlan Song Adobe Employee

I am an engineer working on DPS tools. If you still have problem with the Folio Builder panel, I may help to diagnose the issue further. You may contact me jsong@adobe.com offline. It will be helpful to get a few more info about your panel build and I may help to investigate the cause. Thanks!

Jianlan

• 8. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                        Jianlan Song Adobe Employee

It turns out this is a bug which is fixed in the latest Folio Producer tools. The resolution is to upgrade Folio Producer tools to latest release build. Thanks!

Jianlan

• 9. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                          jblenda

I'm having the same problem and updating to the latest Folio Producer tools is not an option for us because our viewer is not compatible yet. We need to publish a folio with this set of tools before we can upgrade our viewer app. Any workaround? Is really frustrating to have this issues when a new update is available...

Please help.

José.

• 10. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!

I know Jose! We’re in the exact same situation!

• 11. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                              migoidzon

any news on this? i'm having the same problem now, i actually downgraded again to 1.8 Folio Producer so that i can upload, download and test the project im currently working on. i noticed that it crashes during the times im uploading a page with multiple features in it, but in simple pages, it uploads fine.

is it because i downgraded to 1.8?

another problem is, i cant upgrade right now to 1.9 since the current adobe viewer app is waiting for the upgrade and i need my magazine to be selling by April 1.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!

Here’s what we found out and how we corrected our InDesign crashing upon uploading. Our problems came from buttons linking to different states of an multi-state object that was copied from say the vertical orientation to the horizontal orientation. What we had to do is make sure that our MSO didn’t get renamed once its pasted from one document to the next. We also, had to make sure our buttons didn’t get renamed either. It seems that every once in a while InDesign renames buttons or MSO’s and when it gets compiled through Folio Builder it crashes. We didn’t have to downgrade our tool set to fix this either.

Yeah, I am waiting to upgrade our tools to V19 as well, but I am hesitant to do so until it becomes approved. I know I could use Viewer Builder to build a temporary test viewer but it makes it hard for others to proof it when it’s only on one iPad.

• 13. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                                  migoidzon Community Member

so you mean to say is, lets say in the vertical orientation, the image with the title of lets say : image 1, when copied and paste to the horizontal orientation, the photo and the title should still be the same? meaning the image should still have the same title : image 1 .... and sometimes indesign renames this? ( kindly correct me if i misunderstood this )

• 14. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!

It wouldn’t change the names of images but buttons and multi-state objects.

Let me see if I can clarify.

For example:

Vertical Orientation

Multi-state object 1 (contains 4 states)

Button 1

Button 2

Button 3

Button 4

(I copied this and pasted it into the horizontal version)

Horizontal Orientation

Multi-state object 2 (it changed the name from 1 – 2)

Button 5

Button 6

Button 7

Button 8

When I uploaded the files, InDesign would crash. So I went in and gave the multi-state object a distinct name ie. “Tip List” and named it the same in both states. Did the same for the buttons. So it ended up looking like this:

Vertical Orientation

Tip List (multi-state object)

Tip 1 button

Tip 2 button

Tip 3 button

Tip 4 button

Horizontal Orientation

Tip List (multi-state object)

Tip 1 button

Tip 2 button

Tip 3 button

Tip 4 button

Hope this helps.

• 15. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                                      migoidzon Community Member

wow this saved my life!

I just tried this now and it worked! I can finally upload all my pages.

Thanks for the knowledge!

• 17. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                                        CrimsonPlatypus

I was crashing during upload this morning too and figured out it was the way I set up my MSOs which contain Scrollable Frames.

Initially I was grouping images and static elements alongside scrollable frames, selecting my groupings that would eventually become states and creating the MSO that way. What I since learnt was that if you want Scrollable Frames inside MSOS, INDD doesn't seem to like them grouped with other objects.

So now I create the MSO with the static furniture and once that is established and named, paste the Scrollable Frame into each state. It's a bit of a pain in the arse but (for me) it now uploads and updates without issue.

• 18. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                                          Bob Bringhurst - Adobe Adobe Employee

Thanks for letting us know about the grouping problem.

For what it's worth, when I'm working with MSOs, I find it much easier to select the object you want to add along with the MSO, and then click the Add button at the bottom of the Object States panel. I prefer that method over Paste Into.

• 19. Re: Folio Builder keeps crashing InDesign... HELP!!!!
                                            THE_ERK

Hey men, your problem is a dll.

If you use "that amtlib", your software crashe.

You need a good crack.