17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 3:48 PM by auctioneer

Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

auctioneer Level 1

Hi

I created a catalogue for a client last year and subsequently have done many changes.  Recently I combined 2 catalogues, updated to their company website and only today when they requested 50 copies I noticed the images for the most part especially images with measurements are very fuzzy.  I went back into PS and checked the images I created for the catalogue and all these psd images are crisp and clear. I should also mention when I first started the project, I created all the drawing in PS and placed the final images in my ID doc..  In the latter part of the catalogue I placed the image and then used ID drawing tools to created the measurements, these are crisp and clear.  This is easily seen in all the 'New World' mantels. You can see what I mean if you download the full catalogue @ http://www.davincifireplacemantels.ca/catalogue.html

PSD images in PS/Bridge are crisp and clear.

When placed in my ID document they are fuzzy and unclear

I just checked an earlier version of the first catalogue (hardcopy) and the images are all very good.

I suspect I have the colour setting mixed up or some other setting becuase the images weren't always like this.

I don't know what to try next.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

THX

Bob

• 1. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First thing is View > Display Performance > High Quality Display (and you might want to reset that in the prefs -- default is typical, which is terrible). If that doesn't do it, the links are probably not up to date.

• 2. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
            auctioneer Level 1

Thanks Peter

I've checked links...no errors in ID

I have the setting on High Quality.  Raster Images are still fuzzy.

If you look at the pdf you can easily see the problem.  I'm still working on the issue and hoping I stumble across a resolution. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Thx

• 3. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

do you have a specific page you want me to check? The ones I looked at other than the cover looked pretty good...

• 4. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
                auctioneer Level 1

Please look at the 'Casa Bella' page 5

• 5. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

Sorry, I take that back. I misunderstood where you said the callouts were made. They look fine, but the images themselves are not so hot.

What settings are you using to make the PDF? Looks like you might be down-sampling too much, or maybe the images aren't really large enough to use at the current scale. What's the "effective" ppi listed for them?

• 6. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
                    auctioneer Level 1

I don't anyone who uses ID or I would ask them.  I would like to try and place the image (Casa Bella) and see if the results are the same at your end..  I can send you one small image to try if this would be ok.

• 7. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

The images all appear to be downsampled to 72 ppi if they were over 100.

• 8. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

auctioneer wrote:

I don't anyone who uses ID or I would ask them.  I would like to try and place the image (Casa Bella) and see if the results are the same at your end..  I can send you one small image to try if this would be ok.

I'm not sure waht you mean by the first part of the response. Are you using a pre-defined PDF export preset to make the PDF from ID, or some custom settings? What do you see on the compression page? I'm happy to look at an image, but out of context it might not tell us much. Do you know how to check the effective resolution? Select the image, and the effective PPI will be listed in both the Info Panel and the link info inthe bottom half of the Links panel.

• 9. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
                          auctioneer Level 1

Casa Bella image: 1819 x 1394/10.18 mb/300ppi  I've tried to modify the image, upsample-downsample, doesn't make any difference.

PDF export: PDF/X-4:2008  I've also tried many different setting but the results are the same.  The native image when brought into ID changes, this is what I need to resolve.

Thanks again...

• 10. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
                            auctioneer Level 1

I learn something everyday..thanks.

I checked the Links panel, this is the info for the Casa Bella images; ppi 300, effective ppi 181, size 1200-923 and if this helps the document is cymk.

• 11. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

OK, you image is about 6 inches wide at 300 ppi, and it looks like you are using it at full size. According to Acrobat preflight, that image is less than 500 pixels wide, and only 72 ppi, in the PDF.  That means either you are not using the PDF/X-4 preset, you've modified it to downsample, or there's a problem with how the image was brought into ID or it is out of date.

How do you get the images into your ID document?

• 12. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

auctioneer wrote:

I checked the Links panel, this is the info for the Casa Bella images; ppi 300, effective ppi 181, size 1200-923 and if this helps the document is cymk.

This means you're scaling up, more than I ouwld like to see for press, but should be fine for digital printing, but we need to figure out how the image went from 1200 pixels wide to about 450. I think it's most likely the export settings.

• 13. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
                                  auctioneer Level 1

Peter the pdf you downloaded from the site is downsampled (interactive) to keep the file size down.  The images in the PDF/X-4:2008 are exactly the same, I can upload a copy to my server to view if necessary.  The issue is the native ID file, the images are't right before I export.

When I bring the images in I always use the 'place' command.

Earlier you mentioned the links....how do I check to ensure this isn't the problem.  I just assumed because the error panel in the left corner stated 'no errors' the doc was good to go, maybe I'm missing something here.

Thx

• 14. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

When you look in the Links panel you shouldn't see any yellow warning triangles or red missing link dots.

Are all of the images scaled to the point where the effictive resolution is only 180 ppi? This is only about 60% of what I would like to see in print (offset) and would probably show up as slightly pixelated images on your printed pages using normal commercial printing parameters. It's low, too, for digital output, but not so low that I would expect noticeably poor image quality off a typical color copier.

• 15. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
                                      auctioneer Level 1

Thanks Peter

No yellow or red warning signals...all well in the links panel.

I just ran another export PDF/X-4: 2008 and the images are noticably better, they still look like *&^%$^ in ID, but I think this will get me by.  I know for now and in the future I will be using the drawing tools in ID.  I  wish I had paid more attention in class and I wouldn't have to redraw 26 mantel spec pages.  Anyway it's not the end of the world!

Thanks again for all your help.  Have a GREAT day!

Bob

• 16. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP

You can add vector (drawing content) to your images in Photoshop, but if you do, you must leave those objects live (don't rasterize or flatten layers) and save the file as a Photoshop PDF for placing into ID. Even if the vector content is live in a .psd, it will be rasterized when placed int ID, and you never want that with things like thin lines or small type, so Photoshop PDF is the safe format when you've added that sort of content. Change the file extension to .pdp and preserve Photoshop edtiability when you save, and ID will know to open in Photoshop when you choose Edit Original.

• 17. Re: Place image PS CS5 > ID CS5 HELP
                                          auctioneer Level 1

Good advice...thanks again!