12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 12:27 PM by Peter Spier

Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)

edmck101

My question has to do with the Table of Contents command in InDesign 5.5. I'm creating a boating magazine with style sheets. I've done this for many years, and I've never had any problem creating a table of contents. In this case, there are two styles that I use. One is "Models," the other is "Model Years." The result for each TOC entry looks something like, "Bertram 28 Cruiser, 1995-98." Anyway, when I attempt to create the TOC using these two styles the curser loads as it usually does and I can see that the data looks as it should in the loaded curser tool. But when I enter the data by clicking on where I want the text to flow I get a series of boat pictures. WTF! So I go back and try again, but deleting the "Model Years" style. And this time the text flows okay, but of course it's only the "Model" text so the model years are missing for each entry. Then I go back and create a TOC using only the "Model Years" style and, even though the loaded curser icon shows that I have the correct text loaded, all I get are the same boat pictures when I click to place the text. How can this happen? Pictures are not text, and if I can see that the curser is loaded with the text I need why won't it place it properly?

• 1. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmmm... that wouldn't be Skinny Hull, would it?     (I'm a proa_file lurker... just guessing from your username, if I've guessed wrong, never mind, I'll still try to help you with your TOC)

Sounds to me like there are a few different possible problems here:

1) Are your boat pictures inline anchored images and marked with the same paragraph style as your entries? That's why you'd have a picture in your loaded place-gun; the TOC tool only harvests things set in your specified paragraph styles.

2) Currently the boat name and the model years are in separate paragraphs? Because the TOC tool only picks up paragraph styles.

3) Do you have both the Models and the Model Years styles in your TOC definition?

Actually, if you really are Ed from Skinny Hull then just send me a PM by clicking on my name - I will happily help you produce your entire magazine for free because I am completely obsessed with your subject matter. If not, I'll do the usual thing and take screenshots of what I think your TOC Styles dialog should look like.

• 2. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)
            edmck101 Level 1

Actually, I do not have pictures in my loaded place gun. I have the correct text in every case. Seems like it should place the text as it always did in the past.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)

Okay, you've already lost me.

Actually, I do not have pictures in my loaded place gun. I have the correct text in every case. Seems like it should place the text as it always did in the past.

But when I enter the data by clicking on where I want the text to flow I get a series of boat pictures.

You finish your layout, you go to Layout -> Table of Contents, you hit OK on the Table of Contents dialog, and then the place gun is loaded with your TOC. Then you click on the place where you want your list of boats, and you get a series of boat pictures. Doesn't that mean that the place gun was full of boat pictures? What if you place it on the pasteboard?

• 4. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't think I'm quite as confused as Joel, but do you have images of the boats on the pages that you are collectiing for the TOC? If those images are anchored in the paragraphs, they are just another character to ID and will also be included in the TOC.

• 5. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)
                  edmck101 Level 1

The pictures are not anchored in paragraphs nor are they included in either of the paragraph style definitions. What really throws me (and I said this before, I know) is that the text preview in the loaded curser always looks exactly as it should. Maybe pictures wouldn't show in a loaded curser, I don't know. But when I place the text there are only pictures, not the text that shows in the loaded curser. Whatever is going on here is well beyond my understanding of InDesign. I'm thinking that I need for find a workaround for this issue.

• 6. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)

Would you be willing to let me look at the file (Joel would probably like to see it too, but he may not have time)?

I could tell a lot more if I see the actual text.

• 7. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)

As Peter said, it'd be a lot easier if we could see the file - or, as I suggested via email last night, a screenshot of the relevant pages with all of the hidden characters visible would be almost as good.

If those images are not marked with the "Model Years" paragraph style, then what else could it be? Document corruption, perhaps?

• 8. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)

OK, Ed sent me a sample file, and I've found the problem.

All of the large boat images appear to be inline graphics in their own paragraphs (which makes tehm a bit of a pain to isolate -- put the cursor in the previous or next paragaph and use the arrow keys), and THAT paragraph also carries the modelyear style. The good news is this is pretty easy to fix using Find/Change.

On the GREP tab look for ^~a$ which stands for anchored object an anchored object marker that is at both the beginning and end of a paragraph, i.e the only thing in it. Open the Find Format dialog and choose the Modelyear style from the Paragraph Styel dropdown. This should keep you from finding other anchored objects in the file (and there are others).

Leave the change field blank, but open the change formatting dialog, and in the Paragraph Style dropdown choose [No paragraph Style].

That should solve this particular problem.

• 9. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)

Glad to see that you nailed it, Peter.

Ed, sorry for mistaking you for the other Ed M. from the other boat magazine.   

• 10. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)

Joel Cherney wrote:

Glad to see that you nailed it, Peter.

Well, it's a lot easier when you have the file.

• 11. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)
                              edmck101 Level 1

No way would I have ever figured that out. I mean, NO WAY!!!!!

Thank you so much, Peter. And thanks you Joel for your offer of assistance. You guys are great!

• 12. Re: Table of Contents command is acting weird (InDesign 5.5)

Well, it pretty much had to be that, or something very similar. TOC does one thing -- finds paragraphs with specified styles, and then it puts the text of those paragraphs into a story. I think the cursor appearance was misleading you a bit. If you look closley you'll see the anchored object symbols tucked in there among the regular paragraphs, but you pretty much need to know what to look for. The real text is there in the TOC, too (you'll see it in story editor), but it's being covered by the photos which are all overlapping and covering stuff above them. If you select and drag them downwards the text will begin to appear.