4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 4:51 PM by John T Smith

DVD Import

Cowriedoon1

Hi,

I am trying to import some home movies off DVD into PE 10 and I get an error message saying "the user do not have sufficient privileges to write in the destination folder or the folder is read only".  As I am logged in as the administrator on my PC and am able to write other files to this folder I don't understand what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: DVD Import
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since you may not write to a DVD, did you try copying the files to your hard drive to import from there?

Also, what are your EXACT steps to try and import?

• 2. Re: DVD Import
            Cowriedoon1 Level 1

John,

Ah, good point. I assumed that the "destination folder" was the one on my hard disk that the files were being written to. I shall try copying the files to my hard disk first.

The steps I use are:-

Get Media

Select Files and Folders

Select the .VOB files on the dvd

Then a message box appears asking if I want to use the "Video Importer"

I select the video importer which opens showing all of the .vob files selected and where on my hard disk they will be saved.

The video importer then copies all of the .vob files to my hard disk then shows the error message I described earlier - which was confusing.

• 3. Re: DVD Import
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Two good reasons to Copy the VIDEO_TS folder, with the VOB files, is that reading from a DVD in the multi-drive is much, much slower, and also, because Imported files are done via absolute links, that DVD would need to be inserted, or the VOB files will be shown as Media Offline.

Also, while PrE will Import 100% DVD-compliant VOB's, if that DVD was authored by some other software, or was produced on a DVR unit, then the first VOB can be non-DVD-compliant, and it will then need to be ripped, using other software first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: DVD Import
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>select the video importer which opens showing all of the .vob files selected and where on my hard disk they will be saved.

As far as I know, that should work

So, for a Windows computer, running your computer as Administrator is sometimes NOT the same thing as runnng the program as Administator

These links are for a different Adobe product, but the IDEA is the same

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771202

-Set to always via icon http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

1 person found this helpful