9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 4:48 PM by matthewclarkrogers

Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in

matthewclarkrogers Level 1

Hey ya'll.

I've done a lot of searching over the net to look at how to fix this problem and I've had no luck. I've made a montage video using a Go Pro Hero and when I go to export it the image is cropped/zoomed in. It looks perfect in the preview window though. I'm pretty inexperienced with Premiere; all I really know is that the sequence is in widescreen. I would really appreciate some help, if you need to know more project details just ask me/tell me how to find them out and I can do that.

Thanks!

-Matt

• 1. Re: Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in
          shooternz Level 6

You need to match your edit sequence dimension settings to the same as your source footage dimension setting.

eg 1080p, 720p, SD etc....

• 2. Re: Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in
            TradeWind Level 3

shooternz has the best advice. Always match your sequence settings to your footage settings.

On the occasion where you CANNOT match sequence with footage (either because you're using an existing template sequence, or you're mixing multiple formats, or because you just forgot and it's too late to change everything) you can select the footage items in your project, right click and choose "Scale to Frame Size." This doesn't always work, or doesn't always turn out very well...usually is especially bad if you've modified the motion properties in the effects controls (scale, position, etc).

Also, as far as your preview window, make sure you set it to "Fit" to see the entire image. Sometimes at 100% zoom you're not seeing the entire frame due to the sizing/re-sizing of your panels in PPro.

One last thought....you may just be choosing the wrong output module. Be sure you select an output module that is widescreen format. You can check this in the export dialog box on the left preview window by clicking the "Output" tab. This shows the effects of your output settings on the video sequence.

• 3. Re: Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in
              cliffclof Level 1

In later versions you can drag the clip straight to the "new item" button in the bin and it will match the settings pretty well.

Also "Scale to Framesize" from the leftclick mouse button on the footage as was mentioned previously.

• 4. Re: Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in

The preview window is fit to size, so it sounds like shooternz is right. I've been searching the net though and I'm struggling to figure out how to match my sequence dimension settings with the source footage dimension settings. If these don't match and I've already created the sequence, is it to late to fix things or do I have to start over? If it is too late, would somebody please explain how to set up a sequence with with matching sequence/source footage dimension settings? How do I figure out my source settings?

I really appreciate your guys help, thank you!

-Matt

• 5. Re: Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm pretty inexperienced with Premiere

Then you should learn how to use it before you actually try doing so.  (I mean, you wouldn't just get into the cockpit of a plane without first doing a lot of reading and studying about how to fly a plane, would you?)

FAQ: How do I learn Premiere Pro?

• 6. Re: Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in
                    Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Once you've created a sequence you can't change the settings.

The simplest way to make a sequence that matches a source clip is to drag the clip to the New Item icon at the bottom of the project window - it'll make a new sequence that matches the clip, and automatically add it, though you can of course remove the clip again to leave you with an empty sequence.

matthewclarkrogers wrote:

The preview window is fit to size, so it sounds like shooternz is right. I've been searching the net though and I'm struggling to figure out how to match my sequence dimension settings with the source footage dimension settings. If these don't match and I've already created the sequence, is it to late to fix things or do I have to start over? If it is too late, would somebody please explain how to set up a sequence with with matching sequence/source footage dimension settings? How do I figure out my source settings?

I really appreciate your guys help, thank you!

-Matt

• 7. Re: Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in

Okay so I understand how to make a sequence that matches the source footage by dragging it into the new item icon, but now I believe the problem is that the footage has multiple formats (the gopro shoots in multiple formats, if formats is the correct term).

For example, I created a new sequence by dragging the a source clip into the new item icon, and then copy and pasted the whole sequence I had already created into the new sequence. Now when I attempted to export a lot of the clips looked perfect, but some of the other ones were a bit zoomed in/cropped. How can I make a sequence that will let these different formats(?) flow seamlessly together?

I don't know if this helps, but when I click through the clips that I put together in the original sequence the info window shows that they are multiple sizes, like 1920x1080, 1280x960, 1280x720, etc.

Thanks again guys!

• 8. Re: Problem exporting Go Pro video, footage zoomed in
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you used the GoPro with different formats, then you will end up with different resolutions within a sequence.

I would make a 1280x720 sequence and make every thing fit by scaling (down) the footage that is larger then the sequence.

Export to 720p.