3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 12:28 PM by Dave LaRonde

Repair Corrupt CS5.5 Project?

voxL Level 1

The result of a crash...

If anybody knows how to repair this, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

I've been backing up daily, but I forgot to backup today.

15 hrs of work...

• 1. Re: Repair Corrupt CS5.5 Project?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

The only thing you can reasonably do is to crate a new AE project, and import the bad one into it.  Sometimes that works.  Depending on the nature of the crash, you may be out of luck, sorry to say.

Personally, I save every 20 minutes or so, plus I save a copy.  If it's a complicated comp, I'll do an increment & save as well. 

Of course, that won't help if someone takes a piece of sandpaper to the hard drive....

• 2. Re: Repair Corrupt CS5.5 Project?
            voxL Level 1

Thanks Dave:

I imported into a new project, which caused another crash!  However during that crash, I was able to save a partially recovered project file.

The parially recovered file is incredibly corrupted, but it looks like I can save some of my animation channels, which represents some time saved.

When you say "plus I save a copy", do you go to windows and just duplicate the file?  I used to do that, don't know why on earth I stopped...

• 3. Re: Repair Corrupt CS5.5 Project?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

That "save a copy" deal may be concealed under the "Save As" command now.  I keep jumping between 2 AE versions, and I forget.