9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2012 4:24 AM by andymadin

Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system

andymadin

Hello,

We've had a single installation of Premiere Elements 9 for some time now and for love nor money we've been unable to get it working properly, i've tried all manner of driver combinations for graphics and motherboard and the problems persist. Basically, the software refreshes extremely slowly, you can't even consider scrubbing the timeline, this happens regardless of what is placed on the timeline, it can be a series of tiny little jpegs all the way up to 1080p mp4 or even raw video, Premiere Elements just does not want to play ball. Now, I trialled the software on another PC of bog-standard spec with built-in graphics card and it ran very well but on our MediaPC it is totally unusable. Any help at all would be apprciated/ The spec of the PC is as follows (plus all software and drivers are up-to-date):

Windows 7 64bit (6.1.7600)
      Core i7 950

8GB RAM

NVidia Quadro FX1800 (8.17.12.9573)

And we're using media files that are stored locally.

Many thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What project settings are you selecting when you start up your Premiere Elements project? If you're selecting the correct project settings for your video, there will be NO red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

You say you're using .mp4s as you source video, and that could be part of the problem. Most .mp4 formats (from smart phones or pocket camcorders, with the exception of the Flip) are not supported natively in Premiere Elements. What make and model of device produced this video?

Also, you say your video is 1080p, which is also not supported by the program. HD video to be edited in Premiere Elements must be shot in 50i or 60i. Progressive scan frame rates in AVCHD files are not supported in version 9.

Finally, you say the program even chokes on photos. Have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels? Even "small" JPEGs can be many times this size, and soft-rendering this video source can also choke the program.

With a good match between source video and project settings, the program should fly like an eagle on your hardware.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system
            andymadin Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply, i've just tried making a new project set to 720p and bringing a single 720p bmp image in and I really think the problem is more fundamental, it's a struggle to even get that far as the whole funtionality of the software is crippled by something, before even dragging the media onto the timeline the software starts limping along and redrawing itself at less than 1 frame per second, you can't manipulate items on the timeline at all, not even a single image with a yellow state, it's terrible, I might try and screen-cap it and drop-box it so you can see how bad it is! I've got a 64-bit 3DSMAX on here as well and it runs beautifully so there's nothing inherently wrong with the system, as you say, it should fly!

It really doesn't seem to matter what media I use as it's running like a dog before I even get to that stage! And, in my experience of using PCs and software for x years, it just feels like an incompatibility with some hardware or driver... like premiere elements 9 doesn't like the Quadro or the Corei7 or something like that.

Any other thoughts?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system
              andymadin Level 1

Just had an idea, dropped an mp3 into the timeline on its own, no video at all and tried scrolling and scrubbing around, it still runs like a lame horse! You can't even resize any of the panels because as soon as you grab them Elements becomes so slow it's like using a PC from the 80s over a v.90 modem!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system

Try using a WAV file rather than an MP3.

Also, have you tried running a Deep Care tune-up with Advanced System Care Free?

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

If you are only using a WAV file and 1000x750 pixel photos,  your system shouldn't even work up a sweat.

You don't have any Norton products on your system by any chance, do you?

And what is your antivirus program? Microsoft's wonderful (and free) Security Essentials is far and away the most streamlined antivirus out there, and I highly recommend.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system
                  andymadin Level 1

HI Steve, exactly the same with a 12 second wav file, we have Microsoft Security Essentials on this particular PC which is lucky as we normally have a really horrible e-Trust thing the never picks anything up. No Norton on there. If I'm honest I'm reluctant to install the tune-up software you mentioned, especially seeing as all othe rprograms and system operation are lightning fast, I might go for an uninstall and test out the v10 trial just to see if it fares any better?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system

It might be worth a try. But if even these basic things aren't working, something is seriously wrong with the way your computer is configured.

If running a Deep Care tune-up doesn't improve things, I'm out of  ideas. What's going on is beyond what we can troubleshoot on this forum. Sorry.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system
                      nealeh Level 5

andymadin wrote:

Now, I trialled the software on another PC of bog-standard spec with built-in graphics card and it ran very well but on our MediaPC it is totally unusable

What are the differences in specs with the PC it worked well on? And what software is each running on each at startup?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system
                        Ted Smith Level 3

Re pixel sizes of photos

You should rescale you photos (in photoshop) to whatever the final product is going to be. Eg 1900x1080  or 720x480 or whatever you select for your project.

Making them different will only put extra load on PE as it tries to maginfy or reduce and abrubtly reduce the quality somewhat.

Aslo you can take that opportuity to change 3x4 photos to 16x9 by cropping tops and bottoms if possible.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 running extremely slow on Core i7 Win7 Quadro system
                          andymadin Level 1

Thanks for all of your input so far, I'm going to screen cap or video the issue sometime early next week so you can really see how this problem manifests, it seems to be the rendering of the GUI itself that is horrendously slow, this permeates down to timeline scrubbing etc. but when the timeline is left to play on its own the playback is fine, what this means in real terms though is that any GUI interaction is painful, literally mind-meltingly painful and the only applicaion that suffers this problem is Prem Elements 9, we have the whole of CS5 on there and all other applications play nice!