10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 1:04 PM by Noah L.

Photoshop to InDesign size issue

Noah L. Level 1

I'm working on some CD packaging in Photoshop, and want to put it into InDesign for crop marks and such.

My Photoshop file is 9.5 x 4.75 (inches). I then add a .125 bleed to the canvas making it 9.627 x 4.877. It is at 300 dpi.

I then fire up InDesign and create a new document at 9.5 x 4.75 with a locked .125 bleed on all the edges. I then place the PSD file directly into InDesign, but the size of the PSD doesn't match the size of the InDesign canvas, and doesn't scale to the same proportions either.

I also tried saving my PSD as a PDF with the same results.

What am I missing guys? Thanks for the help, and don't be afraid to teach me something about resloutions/measuring that I don't know.

PS: I'm running CS5

• 1. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

So, if you use File > Place... select the PSD, then click and release at the upper left corner of the bleed guide, what, exactly, do you get?

And since you enquired about resolution, waht resolution is the image at the dimensions you mentioned?

• 2. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue
            Noah L. Level 1

Yep, File > Place like you said. The PSD is in InDesign and aligns to the top and left bleed marks, but doesn't reach the trim marks on the right or bottom (and obviously the bleed marks).

As for resolution; I'm not incredibly confident in this aspect of design/digital output, but I'll answer the best I can. The original PSD file is set to 300 dpi. Most of the images used in the file though are lower (probably 72 since I snagged them off the web), but were large enough (pixel-wise) that I figured they'd still look ok.

• 3. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Excuse me but 9.5 plus a 0.125 bleed on all sides should equal 9.75 for the new size. The same for the other dimension. Or am I missing something?

• 4. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When you place it, what is the size that is shown in the control panel?

You said you increased the canvas size but again, what does that mean? Did you then scale the content in Photoshop to fill the canvas?

Bob

• 5. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue

Larry G. Schneider wrote:

Excuse me but 9.5 plus a 0.125 bleed on all sides should equal 9.75 for the new size. The same for the other dimension. Or am I missing something?

Yup. That's right.

Noah, how much too small is the image in ID? Would that calculation mistake account for it? If not, are you clicking and releasing without dragging, or click/dragging a frame?

Web images are almost NEVER usable for print, even if they have enough pixels. They tend to be highly compresses and full of visible artifacts. To know if you have enough pixels (but not if the image itself is any good), select the image and check the "effective ppi" in either the Info Panel or  the Ling information inthe Links panel. You'll see it listed along withthe "actual ppi" figure, which is totally irrelevant. For press you want to shoot for 300 ppi, but you can get away with 250 for a soft image or background. For digital, you can go down into the 180 -200 effective ppi range.

• 6. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue
                    Noah L. Level 1

It says it's 9.6267 x 4.8767, which is what it should be for the bleed. When I said I increased the size, I meant I ctrl+shift dragged the PSD to fill the space, but there was extra to the right.

You can see in the picture though that the PSD, if centered to the ID canvas, will have equal spacing around it. The red lines are the bleed, right? If I account for .125 bleed in both programs, it should align with the red boundaries, yes?

InDesign.gif noticed something though: the placed PSD is the right

• 7. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No. Larry nailed it. You only added .125 bleed total in Photoshop while you added .125 on all four sides in InDesign.

FWIW, you can just resize it in InDesign. That amount of scale will be meaningless when it’s printed.

Bob

• 8. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue

See Larry's post above. Bleed goes out on both sides, so .125 bleed adds .25 to the toal dimension.  As you are set up now, you 've got a .0625 bleed added to your file all around.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue

Bob Levine wrote:

FWIW, you can just resize it in InDesign. That amount of scale will be meaningless when it’s printed.

Except that the aspect ratio isn't right, so you either lose a bit on the left and right, or you distort the image slightly.

• 10. Re: Photoshop to InDesign size issue
                            Noah L. Level 1

Ah! I see what happened now; I would set up my file in PS, then modify the canvas to add .125 to the width and height. This added .125 overall, not to each side, hence why it was too small in ID.

I kept on reading Larry's post thinking, 'I am usually bad at math, but 9.5+.125 isn't 9.75...'. I misread what he was saying.

So thanks Larry! As well as everyone else in this thread. First try on the Adobe forums, and I got quick, conscise, and correct responses.