2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 5:22 PM by [Jongware]

EPub - How do I add invisible hyperlinks + separator lines?

Kratos27

Hi

I'm using Indesign to create an epub.

I want to add a link that takes you to another section, but I don't want the other section's that you are taken to, to look different (eg like a blue link). How do I make the arrival point invisible?

How do I add a black separator line that separates one section of a chapter from another? Ive thought of using the underscore or minus symbol but output will be different on every ereader. I don't want a black line that is split over two lines.

ta.

• 1. Re: EPub - How do I add invisible hyperlinks + separator lines?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hyperlinks often have an appearance in an EPUB. You want there to be some some change so someone knows to click. But destinations don't look any different.

As to creating black separator lines, I personally don't think that would look very good. Usually you want sections or chapters to start on a new page. There are two ways to do that. You can use the Export settings to choose one paragraph style which causes a page break. Or, if you make a book, each file in a book will start on a new page.

But if you want to use a rule, you need to learn about CSS to do the formatting. You can't do that in InDesign. I'd suggest Elizabeth Castro's books at this web address:

Formatting ebooks - EPUB Straight to the Point

Or look at Anne-Marie Concepcion's videos on Lynda.com.

• 2. Re: EPub - How do I add invisible hyperlinks + separator lines?
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Steve Werner wrote:

Hyperlinks often have an appearance in an EPUB. You want there to be some some change so someone knows to click. But destinations don't look any different.

[..] if you want to use a rule, you need to learn about CSS to do the formatting. You can't do that in InDesign. I'd suggest Elizabeth Castro's books [..]

The same goes for changing the appearance of hyperlinks (even though it's so standard, readers might just expect a hyperlink to be Blue and Underlined). In addition, while iBook's support for CSS is extremely well -- I added a 3D rotating object to an ePub, simply by using CSS3 only [*] -- you cannot rely on it "in general". Not every reading device will have the same support.

[*] Just to see if it worked. Well it does Didn't test on any other device, though; I doubt the Kindle kan handle this.

1 person found this helpful