6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2012 5:35 PM by the_wine_snob

Any ideas on problems with sound dropouts in an AVC HD clip?

bill-playford

I have a problem with an AVC HD interview clip in Premiere Elements 10.

If I open the original movie  from Windows Explorer it plays perfectly in Media Player.

If I import the movie into Adobe's own Elements Organizer and play it back there it plays perfectly.

If I then drop the clip into My Project in PE 10 the sound drops out completely for a crucial 1.5 seconds about a minute in, whether I'm previewing it in the clip monitor, or I've placed it in the timeline.

If I then delete the 'faulty' clip from My Project altogether, checking first that the clip still plays perfectly everywhere else, then drop it back into the Project again exactly the same complete dropout problem occurs again in exactly the same place.

It's not just a playback glitch; the problem remains in any exported version of the whole movie I make, no matter what the export format.

Any ideas?

It's rather driving me nuts and it just happens to be in an absolutely crucial location that I can't just edit out.

• 1. Re: Any ideas on problems with sound dropouts in an AVC HD clip?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's impossible to say without more details.

What operating system are you using? A 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?

Have you downloaded the latest RealTek HD audio drivers?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Co nn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what resolution and format is it?

Did you use Premiere Elements' Get Media tool to bring the video from the camcorder to your project?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you selected the correct project project, there wil be NO red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

• 2. Re: Any ideas on problems with sound dropouts in an AVC HD clip?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the AV file has the Audio, and it is good, until you Import the file into PrE. Note: video players, Organizer and even the Source Monitor access the file on the HDD, but inside of PrE, the program is actually accessing a CFA (Conformed Audio) file.

This appears to be a classic case of the Conforming not completing, hence only the initial part of the Audio is playing. First, I would see this ARTICLE for some background. I would Delete the AV file(s) from the Project (not the HDD), and then Delete the CFA and PEK files for the Source Files from the Media Cache (located where you chose your Scratch Disks to be written). Then, Import the Source Files again, and let Conforming complete 100%. Depending on three factors, this might be very quick, or take a few moments:

1. Speed of computer
            2. Duration of Source Files
            3. How far off from 48KHz 16-bit, the Audio is

I would not touch the computer, during the Conforming process.

Please let us know if the files now have the Audio complete. If not, then we will definitely need more info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Any ideas on problems with sound dropouts in an AVC HD clip?
              bill-playford Level 1

Thanks for your prompt assistance, Gentlemen!

Bill - you're a genius.

My scratchdisk for Media files was located in an obscure place indeed, but, having found it, you were right - the CFA and PEK files from the clip were still there, despite having been theoretically deleted from the project. (Don't you just love 'helpful' programs?)

Upon deleting those two files and re-importing the clip (and not even breathing in the direction of the keyboard while it 'conformed') I now have a properly-functioning piece of film! Woohoo! And some idea what to do if a similar issue occurs in the future...

Thanks again,

Bill

• 4. Re: Any ideas on problems with sound dropouts in an AVC HD clip?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Great news!

Many users never even see the Conforming progress bar, as they are looking more toward the center of the GUI.

Much depends on one's computer, but dragging a Clip to the Timeline, before Conforming has completed, can crash the computer. On my workstation, I can do other editing during Conforming, just not with that/those Clip(s). On my laptop, I just Import, grab a cup of coffee, or glass of wine (depending on the time-o-day), and wait until the progress bar disappears. In my case, I am working with files that are almost always 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, so Conforming, even on very long Duration files, goes very quickly. If one had an Audio Sample-Rate and Bit-Depth, it could take much longer.

Glad that there was a simple and easy fix.

Happy editing and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Any ideas on problems with sound dropouts in an AVC HD clip?
                  bill-playford Level 1

G'day Hunt,

I must confess to GUI tunnel-vision; I'd not hitherto noticed the little blue progress bar! I will from now on, though...

Bill

• 6. Re: Any ideas on problems with sound dropouts in an AVC HD clip?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, that is so very common. I had used PrPro for about three versions, before I ever saw the little "warning/informational messages" at the bottom of the GUI. Man, those were very useful, but down and to the left, where I seldom looked. Cannot recall who pointed that out to me, but I am ever gratful for that little tid-bit.

Happy editing,

Hunt