5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2012 5:27 PM by dh91

Keyframe rotating objects to go from fast to slow

dh91 Level 1

Hey all,

I'm using the CC Ball Action plugin to create a rotating column of spheres. I want the spheres to be rotating quickly, then quickly (and drastically) slow down. I have the keyframes set, the balls quickly rotate. But instead of slow down, they stop before starting again slower.

Any tips on how to simply get them to slow down without stopping?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 12.59.11 AM.png

• 1. Re: Keyframe rotating objects to go from fast to slow
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I think you are simply misunderstanding the roattion parameter. It's an absolute angle, not a revs per second or something like that. Therefore the ease keyframe in teh middle would appear as if the animation stops. Just get rid of it and adjust the curve tension of the remeianing keyframes in the graph editor to create a speed ramp.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Keyframe rotating objects to go from fast to slow
            dh91 Level 1

Actually one more question.

The goal is to have the rotation slow down then speed up again, repeating several times as text flies around the "vortex".

Can this be achieved by just dropping 2 keyframes and doing some work in the graph editor (which i am fairly new to)?

I have my keyframes set, but right now i can only adjust the curve at either end of the keyframe.

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 9.47.26 AM.png

Lets say I want the rotation to slow to a crawl halfway through, then speed up again before the last keyframe. Can this be done simply through the graph editor? I guess I could play around with time remapping, but I would have to precomp my 2 rotation layers, which are already precomped, and I would like to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks,

Dan

• 4. Re: Keyframe rotating objects to go from fast to slow
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nope, you will need multiple keyframes and adjust them individually. an alternate way would be to animate the effect continuoiusly in a pere-comp and then time-remap it in teh parent comp. Still, you are going to need more keys in either case.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Keyframe rotating objects to go from fast to slow
                dh91 Level 1

Okay, I precomped the layers and am working with time remap. I get the desired speeds I want, it's just the transition between them. Easy ease still causes the rotation to stop, and the change of motion is kind of sudden with regular keyframes. I tried to do some adjustments with the graph editor, but when I convert to auto bezier, what happens to one side of the keyframe affectes the other.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 8.26.26 PM.png