18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 1:23 AM by paul.hughes

My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

Creative Industry Level 1

My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

Recently the functions for moving multiple images into HDR & Photomerge via Tools and Automate is not working. When I try I get dialog boxs that are incorrect and the software will not allow it.

I've update, removed added items from Photoshop, have plenty of memory devoted to Photoshop, spent hours working with Adobe tech, now waiting for an answer from them takes 72 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this and have you found a solution?

HELP ! PLEASE !

• 2. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

Thank you, [c.pfaffenbichler] reviewed this , I've tried everything mentioned.

• 3. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Perhaps it would be helpful for you to describe what's in those "dialog boxes that are not correct".  Providing more detail about exactly what's going wrong will help people help you.

-Noel

• 4. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

OK Noel

When I select jpeg, raw , tiff or dng from Bridge>Tool>Photoshop>Merge to HDR Pro I get "Merge to HDR Pro needs at least two files selected."

When I attemp to do the same thing via AutoMate for Photomerge or HDR using Browse or Add Open Files I get "You must save your images first."

or I get "tmp00000001"

resave does not help, different files do not help

• 5. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Please pardon my very basic questions...

1.  Just the way you worded your sentence prompts me to ask:  You ARE selecting at least two files before choosing Tool>Photoshop>Merge to HDR Pro, right?  That function can't run with just one file.

2.  Have you tried adding files that are on the disk (opposed to open documents) from within the Photomerge dialog, and if so, what do you see then?

3.  Where are you seeing "tmp00000001"?  Are you saying a dialog is popping up with just that info in it?  That could imply disk access problems...  Do you have full read/write privileges to the root folders of your scratch drives and your own TEMP area?

-Noel

• 6. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

Yes I select 3 or more, I've tried many combinations.

"tmp00000001" this appears instead of the file names I try to load via Automate.

No one other than myself has ever used this computer, how do I check the permissions

of my scratch drives.

• 7. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

I really appreciate your help Noel,  I did a little reading and opened my Disk Utilities and repaired my persmissions

as well as verified my Disk and it seems ok. But Photoshop still is acting up.

One other thing I have forgotten to mention not sure if this is related, when I am in the middle of a project

I get a dialog box saying, there is not enough room on the clip board, when I am not doing a copy/paste

action. This is new, now sure if thats related.

• 8. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins installed?  Any from Nik perhaps?  I've read a number of posts that imply Nik doesn't get along with the clipboard too well...

One other thing to check:  Make sure you have LOTS of free space on your scratch drive (many tens or even hundreds of GB).  I've seen Photoshop use more than 200 GB on the scratch drive when doing a big Photomerge.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                      • 10. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

"tmp00000001" this appears instead of the file names I try to load via Automate.

Reminds me someone mentioned that filenames containing slashes (»/«) might cause problems.

• 11. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

Just remember I installed Lightroom last week, now the failures in Photoshop.

Wonder if LR is steeling ?

• 12. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

This problem has not been corrected and has become more dimensional.

After more work with a Sr.?Tech last night we isolated that the folders and method of transferring my images from my Nikon D7000 may be causing the HRO & Photomerge function from not accepting

image files in some Folders.

I am going to execute a series of trials today based on what we discovered last night and request additional consultation should I not be able to achieve a solution or work around.

I wish Adobe would get their people better gear to talk to customers, very difficult to hear them, very shrill and muffled.

• 13. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

Creative Industry wrote:

I wish Adobe would get their people better gear to talk to customers, very difficult to hear them, very shrill and muffled.

That's the price we pay for Adobe's greed:  They don't pay nearly as much for support people overseas, even though it makes NO sense on any level to be "helped" by non-native-speakers using poor equipment halfway around the world in a completely different time zone.  It's as clear a case of "the operation was a success though the patient died" as anyone can imagine.

Can you do the following?

1.  Open the images in Photoshop (e.g., through Camera Raw), and save them as .PSD files.

2.  Run Photomerge and select the .PSD files you saved in step 1.

3.  Have Photomerge complete successfully.

If not, what fails, with exactly what error?

-Noel

• 14. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!

Noel,

I don't mind the forgien speakers they are OK folks but it is very irritating to have such terrible sound quaility.

Very unnerving.

I appreciate your continued intrest in my issue. I really do not understand why Photosop is doing this but in my

simplistic understanding.

Photoshop does not like it if you move files from your flash card into a folder that my MacBook Pro makes.

I discovered all the functions work by using files kept origional folder my Nikon makes (no matter if on my Mac or Ex HD) A work

around if I move other image files from my computor or an ExHD in a Mac Folder into any Nikon

folder the Photoshop functions will accept the image files but they must be outside of Mac folders.

Very quirky if you ask me, since I am cumpulsive I have posted a new conversation on ADOBE to see if anyone else has experinced this

additionally I am going to follow up with Apple & Nikon. If I get answers I will post them.

• 15. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
                                  Ken La Rose

Adobe CS6 Beta -Crash

Steps:

Select 3 images in LR3.6 > Edit in Merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop (CS6)

In CS6:

select Preset > Saturated

Check Remove Ghosts, select EV0 image, and Edge Smoothness

Click OK

This works the first time I do an HDR but the second time I do it without closing down CS6 I get this error message:

CS6 error -HDR.jpg

I also tried it without using the Edge Smoothness and got the same message.

Opening files from within CS6 instead of LR3.6 gave the following error the 2nd time I did an HRD:

CS6 error -HDR -02.jpg

I have Vista64, 12GB RAM, a dedicated partition for the scratch file, 97GB free with only 3.6GB used by CS6.

• 16. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
                                    Jessica Beaudoin

I was curious if you found a remedy for the original post? I'm getting the same messages and can't seem to figure it out.  One thing that caught my eye that you had mentioned is that you had recently installed LR. I've also recently added LR and though I do not use it, after reading your post, I went in to see if the "Merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop" would work in LR and it did.  Did you ever get this figured out with Adobe?  Thanks!

• 17. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
                                      MagiView

I had the same problem on my desktop but not on my laptop, so I found the fix by comparing preferences:

> Edit > Preferences > Units & Rulers

Change Rulers to cm (or maybe inches or something elese, but NOT percent)

> OK, restart PhotoShop

And miraculously, Photomerge woks again!

• 18. Re: My HDR & Photomerge are broken!
                                        paul.hughes

Job done, thanks for the vid, removed a few more files!

My problem has been:

1. choose merge to hdr pro
                                        2. photoshop starts to build the stacked file, then no HDR dialogue/gui opens and the stacked file closes...

Moved the files out of here : C:\Users\*********\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings inc. HDR toning folder and plugin cache and now after it has built the stacked hdr file it doesn't just close it, it stays on screen and can be worked on!!!

7 months looking for this fix!