12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 1:25 AM by SAngeli

Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers

System_Jay Level 1

Hi,

We need to install this software to multiple computer labs in a school.

Problem: When one tries to export (share) his project and save it with MPEG-format (PC:MPEG),

The software gives a popup about visiting the Adobe site and activating the component. This cannot

be done without administrative rights (UAC pop up on a Windows 7 x64 system). The people using

the computer lab will not have administrative rights.

How can we activate the MPEG component beforehand on all the labs computers without user interaction?

Do we need to insert registry values? Does the process download something from the internet? Install?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The Activation of several components is a one-time activity. There are several such components, that need to be Activated, such as the MPEG-2 compnent, licensed from MainConcept. Adobe needs to gather info on the number of computers, that are using the program, and those licensed components, so they can pay the licensing fee to the license holder. As I mentioned, this is a one-time proposition, and with an Internet connection, is basically seamless and transparent to the user. I am not sure exactly how many such Activated components, and which they are, but basically they are all of the components, that are missing from the Trial version. There was a "sticky" at the top of the main page, that listed the components missing from the trial.

An Administrator should be able to launch the program, with an Internet connection active, and let the components Activate. Once done, there does not need to be an open Internet connection again, unless one is updating the program. As PrE 11 is but a few months away, I doubt that Adobe will be issuing any updates for PrE 10.

If that initial Activation is not something that can be done, you will need to contact Adobe for possible instructions on doing the Activation silently on the lab's computers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
            Aniks Level 2

Hi,

I don't think there is any other way of activation, atleast I am not aware of. What you can do though is, you can import mpg, amr, 3gp, vob etc..clips OR you can export to mpeg/render the timeline and that will activate the components. As far as I can remember there are THREE activations that takes place. Once done, you can use PRE without any activation problem. As Bill said, its a one-time activity.

Thanks,

Aniks

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
              carother Level 1

This is not a one time activation for me.  I am also creating computers for a lab environement.  I have installed Pre Ele 10 from the admin account and then created standard user accounts.  Everytime I try to save as MPEG, I receive the UAC warning.  Restart the computer, log in to the standard account and SHARE as mpeg, and I get the UAC warning again.  I do not want to elevate these accounts to ADMIN.  Are there any solutions to this?

thanks,

robert

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you are installing several copies of the program in a lab environment, you need to contact Adobe in order to arrange a multiple license and properly configure the software.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                  carother Level 1

I have the licensing, but not sure what I need to do to "properly" configure the software, I guess.  Who should I contact?

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Adobe!

You can contact Adobe by clicking the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of this or any page on this web site.

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                      carother Level 1

Here is the response I received from the experts at Adobe.

Siddharth: May I know the exact error message you are getting/

robert: it is a UAC prompt from Windows (7, 64).

robert: "register service"

robert: standard user can not activate it.  It must be done with Admin account.  Since I will use these computers in a lab environment, I do not want to give them admin accounts.

Siddharth: Robert, I am sorry to inform you that the UAC error is related to the system security.

robert: yes, of course.

robert: which is prompted by activating the MPEG component from your software.

robert: is it not possible to run this software as a standard user?  Must the users have an admin account?

robert: to activate the MPEG component?

Siddharth: You can use the software but you will not be able to use certain functions in the software.

Siddharth: it is advisable to use the software in the Admin accounts.

robert: Is there a way for me to install this software such that this comonent is activated and does not prompt the user? 

Siddharth: I am sorry, but that is not possible.

robert: I'm sure this software is often used in a lab that would not grant the users an admin account.

robert: is it correct that the MPEG activation happens everytime.  Shouldn't it be a one-time operation?

Siddharth: Robert, there are known permissions with the standard user accounts.

robert: what does that mean?

Siddharth: This is not just related to Premiere Elements.

robert: so how do standard users use this program?  Are you saying it is impossible for standard users to export as MPEG?  I can't believe this is true.

Siddharth: Adobe does not recommend standard user accounts.

robert: There must be a way to activate the MPEG component for the standard users accounts so they are not prompted again and again for this.  It doesn't make any sense. 

Siddharth: I would suggest you use the software in Admin account.

robert: this is very dissapointing.  and I know there must be a way to accomplish this.

Siddharth: I am sorry but I will not be able to help you with this.

so... not much help here.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, ALL versions of Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro MUST be run by an Administrator, or some components will not work

Install once and run by many non-Admin users is not, from my reading of many past messages, part of the way the program works

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                          nealeh Level 5

This might be worth a try:

Run UAC restricted programs without the UAC prompt

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                            Brett10000 Level 1

From a computer that has the mpeg2 feature activated copy the C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Common\Adobe\ARA\10.0\Repository2_0.db.

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                              Packager1000 Level 1

Just tested this for Premiere Elements 11 and it works. THanks for the fix.

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 10: MPEG Activation on multiple computers
                                SAngeli Level 1

Hi,

I am having the same issue.
                                I run Windows 7 pro x64 and installed Photoshop & Premiere EL withing Admin account.
                                When running those programs from a User account, I have no problems with Organizer and Photoshop but as soon as I run Premiere I get twice prompted to type Admin password. Once I typed it the password the software runs (kind of OK - a bit slow).

While reading on the Internet I learned that Adobe states Premiere EL and Premiere Pro must run only under Admin privileges. Is this true?
                                If I can avoid migratig a User to Admin can you please states, step by step, what I need to do? I did not quite understood the "copy the C:\ProgramData\Adobe....".

If not or not advices please let me know.

Thank you