Tabs

graph22 Level 1

Hi,

Hope you're well.

I am having some difficulty with tabs.

This example will help explain what I'm having trouble with

*jjhkjhkjkjhkjkjkjhkjhkjhkjhkjhkjhkjhkjhkjhkjh

kjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjl

I'm working on a resume. In the job description sections, I have the first line tabbed, add an asterisk and then start typing. On the following line, I tab again, this time to the same spot as the beginning of the text in the seconf line.

However, there are times when if I try to tab the second line to line up with the text of the first it just won't line-up. I'm lining-up the tab with all the others that have tabbed correctly.

Also, there are other times when the first line will go fine, and then I get to the second line and tab it and it ends up taking the first line with it (tabs it to the same spot.)

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks very much.

• 1. Re: Tabs
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can't really tell a thing without seeing at least a screen shot of the document with non-printing characters showing, but I'm guessing you are using the tabs to try to indent the paragraph. That's not the way it's done. Instead add a left indent to the paragraph attributes, or better, to the style. Tabs should be used for making things that look like tables.

• 2. Re: Tabs
            graph22 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

Attached are jpegs of the resume before and after trying to apply a left indent to the style.

In the before one, I like the way it looks up until the second line of the job description of "Coordinator, Business Strategy and Planning" beginning with "and accuracy." I can't get the start of the line to line-up with the W in the line above.

BEFORE

res_before_style.jpg

I then tried adding an 1/8th of an inch left indent to the paragraph style for ALL the job descriptions to show you what happens and . Strangely when I do that it ends up moving the title lines "ie Coordinator, Business Strategy and Planning" over instead of the job descriptions. In case you were wondering, I have separate paragraph styles for the titles and job descriptions. I even checked by playing with the font size for them and it worked perfectly. Yet with the indents it doesn't. Here's what it looks like adding the indent:

AFTER

res_after_style.jpg

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks very much.

• 3. Re: Tabs
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As I said, we need to see screen shots of the InDesing pages, with non-printing characters showing.

Most likely you still either have extraneous tabs, or you have used soft returns, or you've got a "based on" style that is picking up the left indent, but I can't tell by looking at what you've posted.

if the headings are part of the same paragraph as what follows, you can apply a left indent to the entire paragraph, and a negative indent to the first line (in that order or ID will complain). There shold be NO tabs or inserted spaces at the start of any lines to adjust positioning.

By the way, I'm curious why you are using InDesign to do this. Virtually nobody will accept a resume in InDesign format, and very few places will accept a PDF. Word is the near-univarsally requested format for digital submission.

• 4. Re: Tabs
                Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

For this kind of formatting, you want to use a hanging indent. This does not require using a tab for positioning the second line. Screen capture shows 2 places to setup the hanging indent: tabs panel, paragraph panel. After establishing the desired format, create a paragraph style to use for other the bullets, but you will need to remove any previously inserted tabs.

hangindent.jpg

• 5. Re: Tabs
                  graph22 Level 1

Peter,

Attached are screenshots of before and after the style this time with hidden characters shown.

BEFORE

res_screenshot_before.jpg

AFTER

res_screenshot_after.jpg

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

As for doing the resume in InDesign, I don't know where you live but in the NYC graphic design job market a PDF is absolutely the industry standard.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Tabs
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's no need to use tabs for a paragraph indent, use the Paragraph panel's Left Indent instead. You could have an indent for the first line and a different indent for the subsequent lines like this (.25" for the asterisk line and .33"for the others):

Screen shot 2012-03-14 at 4.16.22 PM.png

Or, you can have one indent and hang the asterisk by setting an Optical Margin Alignment in the Story panel like this:

Screen shot 2012-03-14 at 4.16.57 PM.png

• 7. Re: Tabs
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, if you want the indents to happen automatically as you type, set up 3 paragraph styles. One for the first paragraph with no indent, one for the asterisk line, and one for other lines with the extra indent. Set the first line style's Next Style to the asterisk line's style, and the asterisk style's Next Style to the extra indent style.