4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 5:49 AM by nickbombich

can not add effects on video or audio in elements 9

nickbombich

I have been using premier elements 9 since it came out. We have always been able to add effects to video and audio on the timeline. Recently we are no longer able to do that. When we try and drag an effect to the timeline on a clip there is a circle with a line through it. Any ideas why? Our source for the files has not changed.

• 1. Re: can not add effects on video or audio in elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you tell us more about your operating system? If you're on a Windows machine, have you manually gone to Windows Update to ensure you have even the non-critical updates?

How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your C drive? Are you editing your video on your C drive or on a second or external drive?

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it?

• 2. Re: can not add effects on video or audio in elements 9
            nickbombich Level 1

OS is Windows XP 64 bit (I know it sucks but our company wont let us upgrade)

I have got all the latest updates.

I have a 500 gig HDD with 265 GB free. I just defragged too.

I do have the latest quicktime installed, atleast the latest that XP accepts.

The camcorder is a Sony hxrmc50u  shot and imported at full hd

• 3. Re: can not add effects on video or audio in elements 9
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You'll need the latest version of Quicktime to work with this video.

Your camcorder shoots in AVCHD. It also shoots in both 1920x1080 and 1440x1080 mode. It also records in either stereo or 5.1 audio. Which video and audio mode did you shoot in?

When you start up your Premiere Elements project, you MUST selecting AVCHD project settings that match the modes you're shooting in. This will automatically install some important components to the program.

You also don't say how you're getting the video from your camcorder to your computer. But you should be using Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorders to open the Video Importer while the camcorder is plugged into your USB slot. You will then be able to select your video clips and import them from the cam to your computer and into your project.

• 4. Re: can not add effects on video or audio in elements 9
                nickbombich Level 1

OK so you mentioned audio. I noticed in PE the audio track was locked to the video track and was 5.1. I shot in stereo. So I moved the audio track to a new audio track that was stereo. BAM! All effects work now. Thanks for helping/no helping. HAHHAA Not too sure what happened between the last few videos we shot and edited until this one. Im guessing an update screwed with the prefs.

I am a mac user but at work we are stuck on Windows XP. I very much prefer Final Cut. But I guess this will do on the crap windows for now.

Thanks again.