8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2012 7:15 AM by zodiaczz

Elements Software Can I do all of this?

zodiaczz

Hello

I am considering buying this software as I am not happy with my current video software but I want to make sure that this can do what I need.

I am not shooting my own films but editing some movies and making teaser clips

So I could have a 1 hour movie and I want to be able to chop up that movie into a montage to about 3 to 5 minutes.  Taking different timeframes from the movie and then combining them into one clip

- I also want to be able to add a watermark (either text or image) have that watermark or watermarks appear on certain time frames

- I want to be able to convert the file to different formats....mostly convert to flv and h264 formats but be able to convert from flv, wmv, mov, mp4 etc

- Hopefully being able to do most things in one step

Can this software do all of this and more?

• 1. Re: Elements Software Can I do all of this?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

In a word, yes. You can do everything that you want.

The Trimming from you original longer Clip can be easily done in several ways, from either the Source Monitor w/ In & Out Points for multiple Instances of that Clip, or on the Timeline.

The watermark can be done with the built-in Titler.

Export/Share covers all formats/CODEC's mentioned, but for FLV, you cannot Export/Share with Transparency, i.e. do a Flash "sprite." PrPro can do that, should you require Transparency in an FLV. Also note: PrE has somewhat limited FLV CODEC's, but those should be enough for most purposes.

Good luck, and I would suggest downloading, installing and testing the trial version of PrE.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Elements Software Can I do all of this?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Actually, the bigger consideration is what types of video you're using to build your projects. Because, if you're using non-camcorder video or trying to mix video formats, you're going to find yourself with a lot of problems no matter what formats you're trying to output.

What model of camcorder or camcorders is your video coming from and what format or resolution is it?

Premiere Elements works very well with miniDV, HDV and AVCHD video.

Video from pocket camcorders, still cameras (at least those under $1000), iPods/iPads and smart phones does not make the best source video for Premiere Elements projects.

• 3. Re: Elements Software Can I do all of this?
              zodiaczz Level 1

Well the thing is I am not actually making movies on my end.  I am not going otu and shooting content myself.  I am taking exsisting movies I am usign from my sponsors and making small teaser clips.  Like if someone gave you a 1 hour TV show movie in WMV, FLV, DIV, MOV etc formats and told you to

1. Chop it up and make teaser clip 3 minutes long

2 Add Watermarks

3. Export it into FLV or h264 and uploaded it to your website.

does that make things a little more clear?

• 4. Re: Elements Software Can I do all of this?

You still haven't said what format and resolution your video footage is coming in as.

Video from DVRs, for instance, does not work well in Premiere Elements. DVD video works a bit better -- but it's still not a very good fit.

If you're going to be working with DVR footage and all you want to do is cut out commercials, this probably isn't the program for you. (Although you can certainly download the free trial and see how works with your content.)

• 5. Re: Elements Software Can I do all of this?

Here's an article about editing DVR footage. As you can see, it's not as neat and easy as just importing the foootage and cutting it.

http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/How_To_Edit_DVR-MS_Files.htm

Converting the video and editing it in Windows MovieMaker is far and away the smartest way to go.

Trying to make it work in Premiere Elements is likely going to end up an exercize in frustration.

• 6. Re: Elements Software Can I do all of this?
                    zodiaczz Level 1

resolution and format will be a mixed bag.... all depending on the company i work with, some will be high quality films while others will be very low end stuff. i will play with it

• 7. Re: Elements Software Can I do all of this?

As I've said, give the free trial a test drive with some actual footage.

I really don't expect it will be the best tool for the job. Sorry.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Elements Software Can I do all of this?
                        zodiaczz Level 1

no problem that is why I am hear:)  thanks!

1 person found this helpful