8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2012 8:32 AM by MeritVideo

How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?

MeritVideo

I'm having the same continuing problem in Premiere Pro CS5.5. I cannot export a sequence out as a MPEG-2dvd in Premiere Pro, nor as a MPEG-2dvd in the media encoder. I even tried to encode the file as an AVI file, and then take the AVI file and convert it to a MPEG-2dvd in media encoder. No dice. The file I'm trying to do all of this with is a 26minute sequence on the premiere timeline, so it's no space and data hog. It's originally an MPEG-1 file. I keep getting the error code that both Adobe premiere, and adobe media encoder can not read m2v.xmpses files. I already understand that these have broken into seperate files, with the m2v in there as the video, the audio file representing the audio, and the xmpses containing the metadata, but these files are not seperate in my experience with this problem. the m2v.xmpses is one file, and it can not be seperated. Ive been told that these files are seperated streams that need to be "muxed" together into one workable file. How do you do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to tackle these problems.

• 1. Re: How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

My guess is that the source file has an error. Premiere users make Mpeg2s and DVDs all the time.

• 2. Re: How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

It's originally an MPEG-1 file.

That may be your problem.  PP is designed around the idea of working with camera original media, and no camera I'm aware of has ever recorded using MPEG1.

• 3. Re: How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?
              TradeWind Level 3

The xmpses file is NOT a video file. It's an XMP file that (I believe) keeps track of some metadata and specifically keeps track of the chapter markers in your m2v and wav/ac3 audio file.

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. You mentioned it's originally an MPEG-1. It sounds like you successfully brought the file IN to PPro and placed it on the timeline. This is a good sign, since many file-specific problems are rejected by PPro on import. It's still possible the file has issues that are preventing it from being accessed properly for export. You could try rendering out a very small section of the timeline, and check different segments to see if you can identify which section is causing you issues (if any of them are).

Be sure you're not trying to transcode the xmpses file...since it's not a video file, it is only utilized by background processes in PPro, AME, Encore and AE. You can't import the file as - again - it's not an actual video file but only just metadata.

Hopefully this response is helpful to you. Try to provide more information about your exact files and the total start-to-finish workflow and that might help us in solving your problem. Good luck!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?
                SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Please clarify your workflow. If working with NTSC, then your Sequence should be DV 720x480, so as to match what the DVD will be. From Premiere, use File > Export > Media. Choose MPEG-2 DVD as the format, and for Preset, choose NTSC High Quality for instance (for 4:3). Export.

You will get 3 files - clipname.m2v, clipname.wav, and clipname.xmpses

In Encore, use IMPORT AS TIMELINE and only select the m2v and wav files, NOT the xmpses file. Encore will know where to look for the xmpses and will pull in the chapter markers, you do NOT import that file or do anything with it.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 5. Re: How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?
                  taz291819

Or even quicker, select your timeline, and then under File/Adobe Dynamic Link/Send to Encore.

• 6. Re: How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?
                    TradeWind Level 3

SAFEHARBOR11 wrote:

If working with NTSC, then your Sequence should be DV 720x480, so as to match what the DVD will be.

Not to split hairs Jeff (nor to distract from the purposes of the OP), but you don't always want to match sequence settings to output, and the OP may not actually want to do this either - especially when working with lower quality assets and not knowing how many different ways the edit will be used.

Adobe's mantra with Premiere Pro is "edit once, publish many" and so let's consider a hypothetical scenario where you are creating a sequence to be distributed to web and DVD. If your assets are 1280x720 60p and you put them in a DV 720x480 (4:3 0.9 PAR 29.97) sequence to match an intended DVD output, then you are "stuck" if/when you decide to render out an H.264 720p sequence for Vimeo. You have to re-build your sequence at that point.

99% of the time, you want to create a sequence that matches your asset parameters, or that at least matches the majority of the assets. Then you are editing with the "raw" format and ready to up-res/down-res without creating multiple sequences with separate edits. This becomes even more imperative when and if a re-edit comes down and you find yourself having to execute identical edits across 2 or 3 or 4 different sequences.

Just wanted to clarify that point. That's also part of the reason why PPro allows you to create a new sequence based on an asset's parameters by drag-and-drop.

• 7. Re: How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?
                      SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the extra input. I should qualify my statement - since his source is MPEG-1, I'm assuming probably 640x480 or even worse for resolution, therefore just pop it into an NTSC sequence. MPEG-1 is not going to be an HD source. As you mentioned, if working with an HD source, then edit in a matching sequence to keep quality up until the end, I totally agree with that sentiment.

Thanks

Jeff

• 8. Re: How on earth do you export to MPEG-2DVD in Premiere Pro & or Media Encoder?
                        MeritVideo Level 1

Thanks SafeHarbor and also Mr Jolly. With your help the problem has been discovered. It does save to three files. But it calls the video a MPEG movie file (I had to look at its properties to actually find out it is a m2v file.), and the xmpses file is actually labeled as an .m2v file. Pretty confusing. When I found out the MPEG movie file was actually the m2v file I just took it and the audio, dumped it into encore and put together a first run video, and it worked like a charm.