8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2012 8:47 AM by Peter Spier

What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do? AKA how I stopped InDesign hanging on launch.

Jonny_Meh

Here is the system spec:

Mac Pro, 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 4GB RAM. Snow Leopard 10.6.8

This is with a fresh install of CS5.5 + running the 7.5.1 patch. It has a volume license applied. We use no third party plugins and I have uninstalled CS4....

So, I've just spent four hours fixing a problem we've been having since recently upgrading to CS5.5. On launching InDesign, it would very quickly reach 100% CPU on one core and be flagged as not responding in activity monitor. It would take around ~70 seconds to reach a usable state. This is not what I had expected.

Having read a lot of people having lag and speed problems with InDesign CS5.5, I've tried all the deleting preferences, setting draw modes, turning thumbnails off etc. I finally got to the point of trying removing and then re-adding the plugins from the folder /Macintosh HD/Applications/InDesign CS5.5/Plug-Ins.

Finally I ended up with only one plugin removed, namely CSXS.InDesignPlugin from the folder /Macintosh HD/Applications/InDesign CS5.5/Plug-Ins/UI. If I leave this out of the folder then InDesign launches in ~4 seconds, which is what I would expect.

So, my questions are:

What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do?

Why does it make launching the application so slow?

Can I just leave it out of the folder, or will bad things happen if I do?

If anybody (particularly someone from Adobe) has any information on this then it would be extremely appreciated.

• 2. Re: What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do? AKA how I stopped InDesign hanging on launch.
          Jonny_Meh Level 1

Hi, we use Universal Type Server 2 running on Snow Leopard Server. On the client machines we have the latest version of Universal Type Client (2.1.3).

We did used to use Suitcase (Suitcase Fusion I think it was) but this was many years ago - we have use Universal Type Server since version 1.

• 3. Re: What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do? AKA how I stopped InDesign hanging on launch.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, I think that's it. I don't run Mac, but Version 2 of Suitcase, and I believe Universal Type client, is not compatible with CS5.5.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do? AKA how I stopped InDesign hanging on launch.
              John Hawkinson Level 5

What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do?

CSXS is the API used by some kind of Creative Suite eXtenSions. I suspect it loads other plugins (possibly from other places than your Applications folder, such as /Library/Adobe/Extension Manager...). So it could result in loading almost anything else....

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do? AKA how I stopped InDesign hanging on launch.
                Jonny_Meh Level 1

TL;DR: CSXS.InDesignPlugin seems to add an apparently non essential menu item that I think I can live without.

Longer version:

OK, I did some further investigating and found the following results:

• With CSXS.InDesignPlugin in the Plug-Ins folder, the menu item InDesign > Manage Extensions.. is available in the InDesign menu just above the Preferences menu item.
                • If I remove CSXS.InDesignPlugin frm the Plug-Ins folder, the menu item InDesign > Manage Extensions.. dissapears.

If I click on the Manage Extensions.. menu item, it launches the application Adobe Extension Manager CS5.5. Interestingly this application gives the option to remove CSXS.InDesignPlugin.

So: It would appear that CSXS.InDesignPlugin adds the Manage Extensions... option to the InDesign menu. The purpose of this menu item is to launch the application Adobe Extension Manager CS5.5 from within InDesign. As I know the location of Adobe Extension Manager CS5.5 should I ever need to launch it, I am concluding that under my circumstances the loss of the Manage Extensions... menu item is acceptable as it has not yet had any observable adverse efects on stability, useability or, most importantly, files output for print.

If anybody knows anything else I would be very interested to hear. I'll post any longer term findings if they ever arise.

• 6. Re: What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do? AKA how I stopped InDesign hanging on launch.
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

TL;DR: CSXS.InDesignPlugin seems to add an apparently non essential menu item that I think I can live without.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

It supports Extension Manager. If you don't have any 3rd-party extensions that use Extension Manager, then it appears to just handle that menu item. But if you do, then those extensions will no longer be able to load.

That could be a minor problem or an extremely major problem, depending on those 3rd party extensions and your workflow.

• 7. Re: What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do? AKA how I stopped InDesign hanging on launch.
                    Jonny_Meh Level 1

Oh cool, thanks for the clarification. It does sound more important than I thought.

We don't use any third party extensions at all, apart from perhaps the auto activation functionality in Universal Type Client. However our work uses a very small selection of fonts which will always be activated, and you get a warning message up if any fonts are absent when you open a document. So we can live without auto activation.

Following on from Peter Spier's suggestion that it might be Suitcase, I searched the machine and found a partition on a second internal drive with an old Mac OS X install which did have Suitcase Fusion installed on it. To me it seems highly unlikely but I wondered if this might have something to do with it. I think the partition is a bootable backup prior to upgrading the working version of Mac OS X, so perhaps there could be some Suitcase Fusion cruft somewhere causing a problem? Suitcase Fusion is not present in the Applications folder of the machine with the problem.

• 8. Re: What does CSXS.InDesignPlugin do? AKA how I stopped InDesign hanging on launch.
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Jonny_Meh wrote:

We don't use any third party extensions at all, apart from perhaps the auto activation functionality in Universal Type Client. However our work uses a very small selection of fonts which will always be activated, and you get a warning message up if any fonts are absent when you open a document. So we can live without auto activation.

Every instance of a problem with this plugin that I was able to find seemed to have an association with Extensis products. Not being a user myself, I tend to lump Suitcase and UTC together (and I suspect they share a lot of code). As I said in my earlier post, I believe you are trying to use an incomaptible version and that is the source of the problem.