3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2012 10:24 AM by M. Schilde

How to sort cross references?

M. Schilde Level 1

I have a document filled with round about 150 articles, that I have to refer to in different spots inside this document.

Now, when I want to set a cross reference and I open the dialogue, I chose the paragraph style in which I set the headlines - and a wild mess appears. It seems InDesign displays the headlines in chronological order. So ID has me scrolling through this vast list, guessing exactly when I made this very headline.

Is there any way to sort this list in alphabetical order? - I´m currently on CS 4 FYI.

Martin

• 1. Re: How to sort cross references?
          Alessio T. Level 1

I have the same problem in CS5.5!

• 2. Re: How to sort cross references?
            peter minneapolis Level 4

M. Schilde wrote:

I have a document filled with round about 150 articles, that I have to refer to in different spots inside this document.

Now, when I want to set a cross reference and I open the dialogue, I chose the paragraph style in which I set the headlines - and a wild mess appears. It seems InDesign displays the headlines in chronological order. So ID has me scrolling through this vast list, guessing exactly when I made this very headline.

Is there any way to sort this list in alphabetical order? - I´m currently on CS 4 FYI.

Martin

You can create hyperlink text anchor destinations and cross-reference to them by choosing Text Anchor in the Link To: pull-down menu of the New Cross-Reference dialog box. Text anchors are presented in alphabetic order.

It's a bit of work, but not showstopping, IMO.

* Select text at the beginning of the source paragraph

* Open Window > Interactive > Hyperlinks

* Choose New Hyperlink Destination from the Hyperlinks panel's flyout menu

* Choose Text Anchor from the Type: pull-down menu

* The selected text appears in the Name: text box

* Click OK

* Click New Cross-Reference from the buttons in the status bar at the bottom of the panel, or choose Insert Cross-Reference from the Hyperlinks panel's flyout menu.

* Choose Text Anchor from the Link To: pull-down menu

* In the Text Anchor: pull-down menu, scroll through the alphabetical list of text anchors to find the one you want.

Text anchor names appear in alphabetical order. You can adust the amount of selected text you need for the alphabetic sort.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign hyperlink text anchor cross-reference tutorial," without quotes, for details.

NOTE: If you change text in the referenced source paragraphs, updating the cross-references will reflect the changes. HOWEVER, the text anchor names will remain unchanged. This may affect the sort order of the text anchor pull-down list.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to sort cross references?
              M. Schilde Level 1

I see what you did there.

Thank you for that workaround. I tried and it works quite fine.

I think I´ll maybe rather break down those headlines into different groups (drama, classical music, ballet, children´s theatre...), even though they´ll have the same layout, this way I´ll have smaller groups. Should make it way easier to find what I´m looking for. Plus I won´t have to define every single headline by hand.    

Thanks again Peter!

Regards, Martin