6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2012 1:31 PM by JJMack

screen shots with a consistent size?

kgw 2010 Level 1

I want to use screenshots of websites in a web based portfolio.  The images should be about 200px * 300px, or so.   I'm having a hard time producing consistent results when cropping.  I can do a screen shot of the entire screen for all of the sites and change the image size.   The issue with this is that the shots are so small that the detail of screenshot is lost.  This creates a very low quality image.

I tried to solve this by cropping the screen shot to a only feature a portion of it which would produce a more "artsy" looking image that would show the details more clearly.   It was difficult to produce images that were sized consistently.  There was no way to know what the exact size of the cropped image was.

Can I define a size for a mask and then apply it, or reverse it, to have a clearly defined size?Does anyone have any suggestion on the best way to do this?  I'm a hack when it comes to PS. 

• 1. Re: screen shots with a consistent size?
          Curt Y Level 7

The final screen shot image will depend on the quality of the original and that varies. 

The quality is dependant on the image size based in pixels of height and width, and is proportional to the image size in mb.

So if you do a screen shot of a 50k image it will not be the same as a screenshot of a 500k image.

And of course a screen only has a resolution of 72 ppi so you are limited to what you can get.

If you have a high resoluton picture that will take up more than a screen, believe you could take screen shots of portions of the image and then piece together in photoshop.  That should give you a better picture than shrinking HR picture to one screen and doing a screen shot.

• 2. Re: screen shots with a consistent size?
            acresofgreen Level 4

When you use the crop tool, you can enter the size and resolution of the crop.  Does that feature not suit your needs?

crop.JPG

• 3. Re: screen shots with a consistent size?
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are going to be doing a lot of screen grabs, then I highly recommend that you get snagit from Techsmith. I use it all the time. You can see the pixel dimentions as you drag out the capture area. Once capture it goes to a small image editor, to do what ever like call outs or resizing. And when thats not enough, pull out photoshop.

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

• 4. Re: screen shots with a consistent size?
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Seconded.

SnagIt is a superb, productive tool for this task.

I've been using it for many years and I swear by it.

• 5. Re: screen shots with a consistent size?
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I like the freeware tool IrfanView myself.

-Noel

• 6. Re: screen shots with a consistent size?
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

kgw 2010 wrote:

I tried to solve this by cropping the screen shot to a only feature a portion of it which would produce a more "artsy" looking image that would show the details more clearly.   It was difficult to produce images that were sized consistently.  There was no way to know what the exact size of the cropped image was.

Actually you should have no problem doing what you want using Photoshop on a Mac or PC. I only use PC's these days so I'll give you the PC details.

Windows has two shortcut keys that place screen images into the windows clipboard.  The first is PrtSc when you use that key Windows will place a copy of your desktop into the clipboard. If you are running with more then one display with the desktop extended across all of them your total desktop is placed into the clipboard.   The second shortcut is Alt+PrtSc Windows will place the a copy of its current Active Window into the clipboard.  So you have two choices when doing screen capturing whole desktop or Active Window.

In Photoshop when there is something in the clipboard and you add a new document the new document defaut size will be set to the current clipboard size. In the case of screen captures the size will be your desktop size or active window size.  All you need do to accept the new document clipboard size default and do a Ctrl+V paste.

Now if you want a 200x300 pixel image for the web of a part of the desktop or active window its very easy to produce one the will be as clear as you saw on your displays if you select a relatively small area.  Just set the rectangale marquee tool to fixed aspect ratio 2 width 3 hieght. then draw out a selection around the area you wish to show on the web. Once you have made the 2:3 aspect ratio selection use menu Image>Crop followed by Image>Size where you check resample and constrain and set the width to 200 pixels in the top section. Record these steps into an action then turn on the rectangle marquee selection steps dialog to make the action selection interactive.