3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2012 2:21 PM by [Jongware]

Hex character value for InDesign frame break

rwilley66

I have been able to identify that the hex value for a carriage return in InDesign is "000D". Is there a specific hex value for InDesign's frame break character?

• 1. Re: Hex character value for InDesign frame break
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

If you select any single character ID will VERY helpfully display its hex code in the Info Panel.

That's in general; but in your specific case it won't help, because internally the Frame Break carries the same code as a regular Hard Return.

If you explain why you need the hex code, I could probably give a tip or two on how to do what you want (well, unless that was "compiling a Guide For Hex Codes for All InDesign Codes").

• 2. Re: Hex character value for InDesign frame break
            rwilley66 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. Specifically, I am using a VDP application and I have a field that is returning an array of values separated by commas. In the rule of my VDP software for the field I wish to perform a find and replace, finding the comma and replacing it with the frame break character so that each entry in the array will be distributed among a number of linked text frames (i.e. each array entry will be in it's own text frame).

If the frame break carries the same code as the carriage return, I'm currious how InDesign knows the difference between a Paragraph marker and a frame break marker.

• 3. Re: Hex character value for InDesign frame break
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Through internal magic. There are more codes that are "magic" inside an InDesign document. \u0016 for example, is the code for a table, and you can search for it too. But you cannot insert a table by putting "\x16" in the Replace field. Same with anchored object -- \uFFFC -- and various other magic markers.

I promised "a tip or two" but the only way to bring a frame break in from beyond ID itself is through a Search-and-Replace in ID after you loaded your text. Insert some unique code in your software in place of these frame breaks (something simple like "{FrameBreak}" ought to do it; unless your text may already contain this particular sequence, then you have to make up something on your own), and after placing the text into ID, search for this text and replace it with the code "^R", which is "Frame Break" according to the Find/Replace Text drop down menu.