9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2012 8:29 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio stops midway through clip

KSMichaelSRoss

I have a Canon HF100 HD videocamera.

I use a cardreader to transfer footage from the camera to a folder on my computer.

I started a new project, used the AVCHD full HD setting, imported 9 files into the project.

On one of the clips that's 11 minutes long  the audio stops after 1 min 28 secs.

That same clip plays fine with Windows media player. The other 8 clips also play fine with Premiere from the project timeline, from the previewer  and with media player.

Any thoughts about what might be happening here would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, you need to copy the file FOLDER from your cardreader to your hard drive and import the files from that hard drive folder into Premiere... just copying the individual files to your hard drive does not always work properly

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
            KSMichaelSRoss Level 1

This is the first time that just copying the files from the "stream" folder hasn't worked fine (I've used Premiere Elements on dozens of clips). This particular clip plays fine using the elements organizer as well as windows media player - and the other 8 clips work fine as well. At this point, I don't have the other files from the SD card, just the .MTS files, so if you're right, I'm SOL - I'll have to create an MP3 using Windows Movie maker and import that.

• 3. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Search the forums for the word

metadata

for more information

I also have a Canon Vixia camera, and I have never had problems with any of my MTS files

BUT... I have never recorded more than a few minutes at a time (family home movies, short scenes) and I "think" I've read that the problems occur when the camera breaks the recording into (maximum size of ???) 4Gig pieces, and the metadata is needed for an NLE to seamlessly put the pieces back together again

• 4. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
                the_wine_snob Level 9

My guess is that you did not allow PrE to finish Conforming the Audio for all nine files. See this ARTICLE for more info on Conforming.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also see this THREAD for details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
                    KSMichaelSRoss Level 1

Thanks to all that answered, I have a better understanding of how Elements processes files - and continue to appreciate the compolexity of making things simple.

Alas, I don't have a solution to the problem. After "cleaning" the cache, and reloading the file (and not touching my I7 based Windows7 based PC during the conforming process) the file still only has 1 min and 28 seconds of audio. What I did to solve the problem was to delete the truncated audio, and then add the audio from the AC3 file that I had extracted to make MP3s. The project is of a high school orchestra concert where the audio was the most important part of the recording. The troublesome clip was the longest at 11 minutes and 34 seconds, but others were nearly as long and had no problems.

• 7. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, MP3's. I though that the problem Audio was a muxed Audio & Video file.

MP3's, besides being highly compressed, can cause issues on their own. This ARTICLE goes into a bit more detail.

The ultimate Audio Source File for PrE is PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
                        KSMichaelSRoss Level 1

The original file was a file from my Canon Vixia which is a muxed

video and audio. Since it was a HS concert (where most are most

interested in the audio), I demuxed the audio and posted the mp3s that

I made from the demuxed AC3s. I was also making a BlueRay disc of the

same thing with the original video - that's where the problem arose on

the original source material. Still haven't figured out why the first

clip failed, but I now know much more about PrE thanks to those that

responded.

• 9. Re: Audio stops midway through clip
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

With muxed Audio & Video, I use Adobe Audition to rip the Audio, then do any editing required, and Save_As a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, for Import into my NLE (Non Linear Editor).

Especially with AC3 (a form of MPEG Audio), which has already been compressed once, I use PCM/WAV to keep from compressing again. That is also the best Audio file to Import into Premiere.

Note: the free audio-editor, Audacity, can usually rip the Audio Stream and Save_As WAV (Uncompressed), which is the same thing, just with a slightly different name. For anyone new to Audacity, our tireless MOD, Steve Grisetti, has written, or co-written, several good tutorials, which are available on Muvipix.com. I cannot remember if those are free tutorials, or if they are free only to Muvipix subscribers, but I recommend those highly.

Good luck,

Hunt