14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 6:33 AM by GOV12

Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac

GOV12

We're having an issue here at work where Photoshop CS3 is very slow in opening files of any size on our Macs.

We're running 10.5.8 on 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon MacPros with 3 of them having 8 gigs of ram and my machine running 12 gigs.

I've tried doing a bunch of research on the issue, but all I can find about it has to do with the issue on a Windows machine involving the network/default printers. I've tried deleting both our network printers and adding them again after a restart with no luck. We've even tried deleting the Photoshop preference file along with the Adobe Mediabrowser preference.

If anybody has any thoughts on how to fix this (aside from upgrading to a newer CS), they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
          Mark Werbeloff

I'd try to repair the permissions on the hard disk of one of the macs using disk utility and see if that helped

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
            Curt Y Level 7

Networks can add problems for Photoshop.  If it is painfully slow in opening files it is looking for something it can not find.  Network printers should never be the default printer. 

Have seen posts where the network printer computer is offline causing problems,

Also, it is looking for a file or file location that is not there?

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
              GOV12 Level 1

You know, I don't know why I never thought of repairing the permissions before. Now, I feel dumb as it's usually one of the first things I think of doing if somethign is acting wonky.

Curt, all we have is a network printer, I even went so far as to install some epson drivers and see if I could add a printer that wasn't there to make that the default, but nothing shows up but all the buildings networked printers. As for looking for the file or file location, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I do know that it doesn't matter if we're trying to open the file from one of our servers or the desktop, the issue doesn't seem to discriminate based on file location.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                Curt Y Level 7

Network printers are a huge problem for slow response.  Here is an Adobe factsheet that addresses the problem.  http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-starts-slowly-network-printer.html

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                  GOV12 Level 1

Thanks Curt. The first thing I notice about that factsheet is that it only talks about and has instructions for Windows, not for a Mac.

As for the repairing permissions idea, I did it first thing this morning with no luck.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                    Curt Y Level 7

How about this tidbit about MAC I gleamed from web.

Often, when Photoshop is slow to open a file, it's looking for a networked printer as well. Additionally, Adobe suggests that deleting a file named "com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist" from inside Adobe Bridge can help, or at least set permissions on that file to "No Access" and lock the preferences. The file is a preference that holds a list of files recently opened by Creative Suite applications. If you aren't comfortable deleting or restricting a file like this, some users have also found that disabling Version Cue from the preferences reduces or removes lagging and delays.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                      Mark Werbeloff Level 1

What kind of printer do you have? Does it have a usb or firewire connection on it?

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                        Mark Werbeloff Level 1

also have you looked at this link for troubleshooting http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3140 You can also post the question on the apple community chat boards there are some smart tech guys there

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                          GOV12 Level 1

Curt,

We've tried deletling the mediabrosser file before, but we did so directly from the the Library>Preferences, I'll take a look into doing via Bridge. How exactly would I restrict the file?

As for the Version Cue idea, I have seen that one and we already had it disabled.

mwerbe,

Our Printer is a Ricoh4500 laser printer. It does not have firewire or usb, only CAT5 for the network..

• 10. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

It occurs to me to ask you for a few specifics, to help nail this down...

1.  What size are the files that open very slowly?  You mentioned "any size"...  Does that mean even a very small file you create and save is "painfully slow" to open?

2.  How long is "painfully slow" in seconds?

3.  What format are the files?

4.  Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins installed that are common to these systems?

Also...

Do you have any system with a local printer?  If so, make that the default printer and try this:

A.  Make the local printer the default printer.

B.  File - New, 1000 x 800 pixels 8 bits RGB, paint a squiggle or something in the new document, and print it.

C.  File - Save As, PSD, and save it to disk.

D.  Close the document.

E.  Open the document and note the time.

Do you see it take a long time to open?

-Noel

• 11. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                              GOV12 Level 1

Noel,

1. When I say any size, I literally mean any size. Anything from a 16 KB (or even smaller) low res file to a 20+ MB hi res file.

2. "Painfully slow" is double clicking to open the image (or even dragging it over the Photoshop icon in the Dock), and waiting sometimes a full five mintues before the file opens.

3. File format would include: .psd, .eps, .jpg, .gif., png... pretty much the normal stuff, nothing weird.

4. The only odd plug-in we have is GenuineFractals and that's only installed on two of the 4 machines.

We do not have any local printers in our dept. It's all networked. I'm not even sure there are any local printers in the building.

• 12. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

Hm, not being a Mac user, I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage, but...

Does a Mac have any local "printers" that are really file drivers - e.g., a "print to PDF" capability or similar?

What I'm getting at is that perhaps there's something gone wrong in the process of starting up with regard to the network printer, and I'm suggesting trying to eliminate it and see if things get faster.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                                  GOV12 Level 1

I get what you're saying Noel and while there is a print to PDF option, it doesn't allow me to set it to the default printer.

I actually just got back from our IT dept to ask the guy if they have an desktop printer laying around not being used that I can try plugging in and setting as the default to see if that works.

• 14. Re: Photoshop CS3 opening files painfully slow on a Mac
                                    GOV12 Level 1

Ok, I think I found a little work around that so far, for the past hour or so is working good. Files are opening up a lot faster.

What I did was create a virtual default printer following instructions I found Adobe's site...

1. Open System Preferences, and select Print & Fax.

2. Choose the + sign to add a new printer.

3. Choose IP.

4. In the Protocol pop-up menu, choose Line Printer Daemon - LPD.

5. In the Address field, type in localhost.

6. After Generic PostScript printer displays in the Print Using field, click Add.

7. Close out of the Print & Fax preference or Quit System Preferences.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/set-default-printer-print-center.html

Once I did all that, I had to go into the Preferences and delete the Photoshop and Mediabrowser preferenses and then restart the computer. Hopefully this fix sticks, but if not, I'm sure I'll back to see if anybody has any other ideas.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

EDIT

Well, it's been a few days and it looks like I may have spoke too soon on the above fix. Photoshop seems to be slowly reverting back to the problem.