7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2012 8:24 AM by Kratos27

How do I view text in long ePub chapters?

Kratos27

Hi! I've created a couple of ePub books with a page area of 800 x 600. Each chapter is short and so fits on the page area. If the text does overrun slightly I click the bottom right corner of the page to make it bigger, I see the text and edit it if need be, then I drag the bottom right corner back into place (sorry I don't know the correct terminology.)

However I'm now creating a new ePub book that has much longer chapters that have text and images and I want to be able to easily read everything. Dragging the bottom right hand corner to be able to view the content will be cumbersome. Is there a better way to do things?

• 1. Re: How do I view text in long ePub chapters?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You must be talking about Fixed Format EPUB books. Most EPUBs are reflowable and are not tied to a page size. I think they only work in Apple iBooks. Most of us are unfamiliar with how to produce that format.

The only two sources I know of who have written about Fixed Layout EPUBs are Liz Castro in her ebook on Fixed Layout EPUBs:

http://www.elizabethcastro.com/epub/

Also Anne-Marie Concepcion has a title on Lynda.com about producing Fixed Layout EPUBs from InDesign.

• 2. Re: How do I view text in long ePub chapters?
            Kratos27 Level 1

Sorry Steve I haven't made myself clear. The finished book is definitely reflowable. The problem is more to do with what I see when making my Indesign document. What I want is to do is make an ePub with 25 separate chapters and be able to see all the content as Im making it. So I create 25 pages. Each with a text frame. I place the text and graphics content for a chapter in a text frame.  But that text frame is not large enough to show everything. The content i pasted is there but it is off-screen. To view it i have to drag the bottom right hand corner of the text frame. Adjust the text, then move the text frame corner back into place. I thought it might be because I should create a single page- but the content will still overflow from the text frame.

• 3. Re: How do I view text in long ePub chapters?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need one long flowing story in InDesign. You can break the chapters by creating a paragraph style for that purpose and selecting it in the export dialog.

This is generally the title of the chapter.

Bob

• 4. Re: How do I view text in long ePub chapters?
                Kratos27 Level 1

Thank you Bob. I copied over my whole Word doc into Indesign and each page flowed into the next. I set the ToC to chapter title style headings. Cheers!

But a new problem! Now when I try to export the file Indesign just hangs and cannot export it. I went back to an earlier version of the file without the ToC and it still doesn't work although different Indesign files export correctly. Could this may be a bug in the software?   I would start from scratch but after I set the text & paragraph styles I adjusted the text for about 65 pages and don't want to lose this. Looking on the forum I saw a person with a similar problem but that was related to links. I just have a couple of basic links and even with them removed it still doesn't work.

I'm thinking of creating a new doc with separate chapters then copying and pasting text from this Indesign file into the new one but I don't want to lose my formating.  How do i import textand para settings from one file to another?

• 5. Re: How do I view text in long ePub chapters?
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

From the paragraph styles or character styles panel menus choose load styles.

But I’d sooner try to figure out what’s happening here.

Do you have any font management software installed?

Bob

• 6. Re: How do I view text in long ePub chapters?
                    Kratos27 Level 1

I don't have font management software installed.

• 7. Re: How do I view text in long ePub chapters?
                      Kratos27 Level 1

In case this helps anyone else...

I had a problem exporting an epub. Indesign would just hang so I would have to force-shut it.  The cause was a web address with a hash in it. I removed the entire web address and it exported fine. I hope that helps!