5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2008 2:52 PM by Newsgroup_User

SCORM

Pixel_Print
      I need to know if it is possible to redo a Director presentation to be SCORM compliant. I have 4 pre-existing projects that were done in Director as Computer Based Training CDs. Now the client would like them made into Web Based Training. The trick is that he wants them SCORM compliant. I need help figuring which direction to go. Can Director interface with and LMS? If so what is the procedures involved? I have always known that Director can export SWF files which I was planning on having a web developer build a shell around to post on a website, but what I am curious about is does Director export the XTRAs to? I use MediaPlayer Xtra to control the voice overs with cue points. Will these still work? Any help anyone could be would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: SCORM
          Ex Malterra Level 1
          Yes, in principal it works the same way as Flash; you'll need to have your *.dcr files make calls to JavaScript functions in the hosting HTML that "talk" to the LMS. A good thing to do would be to test your stuff on Rustici's Test Track at scorm.com. Rustici makes the most compliant products there are IMHO, so it's good to test there. But unfortunately there are several LMSs to deal with, and they all behave differently no matter how SCROM compliant they say they are.
          • 2. Re: SCORM
            Pixel_Print Level 1
            Ok, that helps make sense. Can I from within Director communicate with JavaScript? If the HTML file needs to know where a book mark is or something? Does JavaScript communicate out and in from Director?
            • 3. Re: SCORM
              Level 7
              Did you read the link Irv provided you in the DOUG forum you also posted
              this question to?
              • 4. Re: SCORM
                Pixel_Print Level 1
                Yes, I read it and did not understand any of it. I have a company willing to help me with the conversion to SCORM compliance, I just need to know how Director uses JavaScript. The asked about 9quotd from them) "demonstrate the ability to call out to JS, we can literally handle the rest. It's also worth checking whether you can make calls only or actually make synchronous calls that retrieve values. We can work in either scenario, but that's an important distinction."
                So I am trying to figure this aspect out.
                • 5. Re: SCORM
                  Level 7
                  > "demonstrate the
                  > ability to call out to JS, we can literally handle the rest. It's also worth
                  > checking whether you can make calls only or actually make synchronous calls
                  > that retrieve values. We can work in either scenario, but that's an important
                  > distinction."

http://dasdeck.de/staff/valentin/lingo/dir_js/