1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 17, 2012 9:03 PM by Jim_Babbage

Going from Fireworks to Dreamweaver.....

Taffypro Level 1

I have taken a couple of courses on Lynda.com (Fireworks Essential Training and Fireworks Rapid Prototyping).  I am confused when I export a website, and open it in Dreamweaver.  I have a fairly good grasp of Dreamweaver, yet I am perplexed when I see what Fireworks creates after an export.  The entire site is made up of numerous images that line up in a table.  All the text is flattened into these images.  Since there is no text, I imagine the website is basically unsearchable AND you cannot make a simple change to the text without exporting every graphic and .html page again.  It seems that Fireworks wants you to abandon the whole concept of CSS altogether.  I have designed many sites using table layouts (Dreamweaver) and graphics(Photoshop).  I was hoping that Fireworks would make it a whole lot easier.  I get the impression that Fireworks is ONLY for a rough layout, but shouldn't be used for creating a web site.  If this is so, why bother?  Am I missing something?

Any suggestions would be grately appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Going from Fireworks to Dreamweaver.....
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

HTML and Images export should only be used for creating an interactive, high fidelity prototype, NOT a final web site. Your options in CS4 and CS5 are to export as CSS and Images. It's by no means a perfect solution, but it will get you closer to a true, html and css-based page design.

Fireworks is NOT for creating a web site. It was never designed to do that. That's Dreamweaver's job. FW was created to prototype, visualize and design that site quickly and optimize the image objects appropriately for use in the final web or mobile project.

Recent additions to Fireworks CS5 such as the CSS3 Mobile Pack (available on Adobe Labs for free) help the designer to generate CSS based mark up of common CSS3 effects such as rounded rectangles, gradient fills, drop shadows, glows, text styles as well as giving you the ability to reskin jQuery mobile templates.

HTH