9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2012 3:45 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts

schnied83

When exporting to a PDF I get a Background Task alert:

Proposal template _ all pages2.jpg

Small Fonts: This font could not be embedded because it is missing its font outline file. Adobe Acrobat requires the outline file to be installed for correct viewing and printing of this file.

Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it.

When viewing the PDF that is exported part of my background from my Master Pages is missing however, it prints fine.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you using somethign called "small fonts" in your document? It sounds like you have only the screen font half of a Type 1 font installed on the system...

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts
            schnied83 Level 1

Not that I am aware of. Where would I look? I didn't have this problem until I upgraded from CS4 to CS5.5. How would I turn on the other half of Type 1.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Congratulations! You managed to dupe InDesign to use one of the system bitmap fonts that come with Windows since (about) v.3.

"Small Fonts" is a for-screen-only bitmap font, intended to be used at a typical size of 3 to 6 PIXELS. It's a real legacy thing, just like the other bitmap-only-fonts "Microsoft Sans", "System", and maybe a few others. ("Microsoft Sans" is nowadays silently replaced by the system with Arial, I believe.) Those are the real bitmap deal -- designed to be used at their design size, for bitmap purposes only.

The strange thing is that, honestly, *every* self-respecting DTP software programmer *knows* to steer well clear from these ancient relics; and under normal circumstances they are simply not available as a font selection. Let alone, to attempt to include rhem in something as modern (and pixel-font free) as a PDF. Now *somehow* you got a PDF where someone else apparently not only used software that *did* allow him to "use" this font but write it to a PDF as well! Of course that didn't work; this person sent you his PDF, still containing the reference of the font but not the font itself; you placed this PDF called "financial info (etc).pdf" into your law-abiding, top notch modern version of InDesign ... that *is* smart enough not to check just the fonts YOU used in your document but also those inside PLACED PDFs.

There you are, now: you cannot use this PDF because it has a missing font; and this font is one that no sensible piece of software will ever allow you to embed.

Only two options left, here: ask the responsible party for a replacement PDF *without* using this font, or use Acrobat Pro to try and select the text in this font and assign another one (or possibly you have to use something like PitStop).

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts
                schnied83 Level 1

Oh great!

There are only two of us working on this file. The PDF is coming right from InDesign....

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts

Run Find Font and see if it shows up someplace.

It might be in some piece of placed art.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts

Peter Spier wrote:

[..]

It might be in some piece of placed art.

It *must* be. InDesign simply does not allow you to select this font, so there is no way you could have used it the usual way.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts

I was able to get ID to use Small Fonts by pasting formatted text from WordPad, where it does show up in the font list, so that's one way it might have found its way into a document. It shows up in Find Font when I do this, too, so it would be easy to replace.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts

Now that's what I call Unexpected ... You should file it as a bug!

• 9. Re: InDesign CS5.5 Export Error: Small fonts

Pasted the same text into Word 2000, and it was happy, too.

I'll try to remeber fo file the bug, but I don't know how much attention it will get. How may people do you suspect woould actually attempt to paste formatted text in Small Fonts into ID? I had to look pretty hard to find a way to even access the font, and I was trying to use it. It doesn't show in the choosable font lists in either Word or ID, even after pasting, so I think we're dealing with something pretty obscure here.