5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 10:19 PM by John Hawkinson

Indesign 5.5 and HTML workflow issues

daver333

Hello all,

I have kind of a unique problem that I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I work for a manufacturer and we have 4 "print" catalogs with one or two items on each page as well as some pages with informational content such as specifications etc.  Each item has tables, images, and text.  We publish these files to PDF as a catalog, which is not a problem.  However, we also need to take these InDesign files and export each item out to an HTML page.  I'd like to be able take the images, tables and text in the InDesign pages and resize, reposition the objects for a webpage.  Each webpage is unique and not linked to eachother.

Should I try XML? Or am I just going to get frustrated?

HELP!

Dave

• 1. Re: Indesign 5.5 and HTML workflow issues
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Are you familair with XML? Are you easily frustrated?

What do you use now to produce your HTML?

I would probably stat with InDesign's Export to HTML feature, but it's certainly plausible that EPUB or XML might fit better in your system, depending on how it goes. And on how structured your data is.

• 2. Re: Indesign 5.5 and HTML workflow issues
            daver333 Level 1

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply,

I'm only familiar with XML in the sense that I know what it does and how it is structured.  I've heard that InDesign's use of XML is not always correct thus my thought that I might get frustrated trying to make it work.

I've tried the Export to HTML and it fails pretty miserably.  The formatting is lost, the tables are basically not usable.

The big issue is that we started the catalogs in InDesign way back and now we want to catch up to more digital media.  It just doesn't seem like I can copy and paste information from an InDesign file into Dreamweaver without a lot of reworking in Dreamweaver. 

Dave

• 3. Re: Indesign 5.5 and HTML workflow issues
              John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm only familiar with XML in the sense that I know what it does and how it is structured.  I've heard that InDesign's use of XML is not always correct thus my thought that I might get frustrated trying to make it work.

I don't think that's a fair characterization. InDesign's XML is somewhat inflexible, on import and on export. You should expect to have to transform/adjust it in order to interact with other applications. But that is par for the course with XML.

I've tried the Export to HTML and it fails pretty miserably.  The formatting is lost, the tables are basically not usable.

What do you mean by "formatting is lost"? Font face changes (e.g. boldface, italics) should be preserved. The expectation is that you should have to adjust the output in other tool later.

The CSS-based nature of ID's HTML may make that less than trivial though.

It sounds to me like we don't have enough information to advise you. We need a better idea of your source material and a better idea of your end-state, and what you are willing to do and what tools you have. Screenshots of the start and the end might help, as would some idea of what you are expecting the HTML to look like.

• 4. Re: Indesign 5.5 and HTML workflow issues
                daver333 Level 1

I think I got my answer actually when you said that I'll have to transform/adjust my file after.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't adding extra work that I didn't need to do.

When I say the formatting is lost I mean that it adds classes to the <p> which I'd have to be taking out and/or replacing.  This would slow down workflow considerably when we are talking about 100s of files.

Is there a way I could export to HTML without classes added?  I guess then I could apply my own CSS to the export file. 

Again, thanks for the replies.

• 5. Re: Indesign 5.5 and HTML workflow issues
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, you might find the XML export more to your liking. But perhaps not.