8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 8:28 AM by the_wine_snob

How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?

KlausKi Level 1

Hi,

I noticed that the only way to have a long text scroll across the screen is by using a so-called rolling/crawling text. Using normal text and trying to use position tweening to scroll it arbitrarily accross the screen doesn't work because long text gets cropped  .

Now here's my question:

I have created a tiny presentation [here].

It uses rolling text for the introduction. I'd like to add a perspective transformation plane to it (just like the one described in my presentation itself) so the introduction text gets displayed just like in the Star Wars trailers.

How can I do this with Premiere Pro?

• 1. Re: How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Klaus,

You may be better off not using the rolling/crawliing options, but to use a static text and then apply motion and postion keyframes to create the rolling effect you want. You can apply a 3D Corner Pin effect to create the perspective transformation.

• 2. Re: How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?
            KlausKi Level 1

Thanks for trying to help, Harm,

the problem with standard text is - as I describe above - it gets cropped. The same text box, not using any rolling/crawling effect, is missing whole paragraphs at the beginning and at the end, no matter where I position it.

• 3. Re: How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Klaus, that happens when you use the default dimensions for the title, for instance 1920 x 1080, but if you create a title with dimensions of say 1920 x 6000, you get a a large textbox that can be positioned and moved as you like. Alternatively, try with a PSD instead of the Titler.

• 4. Re: How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?
                lasvideo Level 4

Or you can use a tool designed to do motion graphics called After Effects. It easily can do this effect (with one arm tied behind its back )     

• 5. Re: How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Klaus,

I use Harm's method, and create my Text Title in Photoshop. Am working on one right now, that is 720 x 4000 pixels (SD Project). I just use the PS New Image Preset for NTSC (my case), Widescreen 720 x 480 w/ Guides. Then, I go to Image>Canvas, and extend the height to what I need. I add my Text, and Save_As PSD w/ a Transparent Background. In my case, I have a black Layer below my white Text, so that I can see it clearly, and just turn Visibility for that black Layer OFF, prior to the Save_As.

I then Import the PSD into PrPro, and Keyframe the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, over the Duration of that Title.

One can do it in Titler, but I find that the display of the "tall" Title in Titler to be rather klugy, and it is so much easier in Photoshop. I can also add more Styles in PS, as well as Filters, than in Titler.

Should I require it, I can also "pause" the Roll, with Motion>Position Keyframes, and then continue with the Roll.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?
                    KlausKi Level 1

Thanks for all your valuable tips!

I've not been working with AE yet, so following this part would require me to get into this program first, I'm afraid.

I think I'll follow the Photoshop part over next weekend. ...isn't this just some picture you're importing in the end? So I might use any imaging software I'm used to work with?

Thanks a lot!

Axel

• 7. Re: How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

That'll work fine, so long as it's an image format PP understands and not something proprietary.

(JPG, PNG, TIFF, TARGA, GIF, etc.)

• 8. Re: How to add perspective transformation to rolling text?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

One can use any image editing app. they are comfortable with, so long as they follow Jim's suggestion.

The Image should be set up to match all aspects of the Project, i.e. Aspect Ratio, Pixel Aspect Ratio, RGB Color Mode, etc., and Photoshop makes that so very easy. That, plus my decades of using the program, are the reasons that I use it, and recommend it. It also works natively in PSD format, which is one that PrPro can read perfectly and use easily. That is the format that I always Save_As, and then Import into PrPro. Also, with many Titles, you will want a program and a format, that supports Transparency, and PSD and PNG can both do that, but JPEG cannot - you get a colored background, and if one wishes to overlay Text on Video, they cannot do that with a JPEG.

On a side-note, PrPro can do some neat stuff with a Layered PSD, when it comes to animation. One can create different Layers of Text, Import the resulting Layered PSD into PrPro as a Sequence, and then animate each Layer independently for some very nifty effects.

One can use GIMP, IrfanView, or any number of Image editors, so long as they set up the Image (Title) properly at New Image, and it produces a format that PrPro can use, and, if needed, can work with Transparency (not all can).

Good luck,

Hunt