3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 1:36 AM by GreenFrogPublishing

Prevent Page Break With New Document In A Book

RIP FCP

I'm using InDesign to create an eBook, specifically using the Export for Kindle.

I am using the Book feature. I have a separate document for each section, sub sections of Chapters.

When I export for Kindle, I wind up with a page break at the start of each new document. Since each document is not a Chapter, I do not want page breaks.

Is there a setting to control this?

I would like page breaks at the start of new Chapters, but not the start of new documents.

• 1. Re: Prevent Page Break With New Document In A Book
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no control for this. When you make a book, each book becomes a separate XHTML file in the generated EPUB file. And each XHTML file begins a new page.

The workaround would be to recombine the sections within a chapter before exporting to EPUB.

• 2. Re: Prevent Page Break With New Document In A Book
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

RIP FCP wrote:

I'm using InDesign to create an eBook, specifically using the Export for Kindle.

You should be using a tool to create eBooks with. InDesign is primarily a desktop publishing program, with the ability to export (some of) its document contents to a format usable for further processing to a real e-pub.

Nevertheless:

RIP FCP wrote:

I am using the Book feature. I have a separate document for each section, sub sections of Chapters.

When I export for Kindle, I wind up with a page break at the start of each new document. Since each document is not a Chapter, I do not want page breaks.

Then you are using the available options upside-down. As Steve notes, all separate documents inside a Book always introduce a new 'page' in the output. Thus, if you want all of your chapters to automatically start on a new page -- and nothing else -- you would put every chapter in a separate document.

Because InDesign is the wrong tool for this (so to speak), it does not offer the option to 'continue a same page in the next document'.

An alternative workaround, by the way, could be to put all of your text into a single InDesign document and use one of the few extra features ID has for exporting to e-pub format to insert document breaks on a particular paragraph style.

• 3. Re: Prevent Page Break With New Document In A Book
              GreenFrogPublishing Level 1

You need to set up the entire book as one long document, forget the .indb file, it is useless for ebooks. I don't know why the book feature offers an export to epubs, but it shouldn't.

Each chapter must be it's own "story." Define your TOC styles, and place the TOC in the document, but do not include it in the next step, the Articles panel. Use the Articles panel to control the sequence of the output (leave the TOC "story" out of this panel because the epub will generate a working TOC).

At that point, you should be able to export the whole book to a working epub using the Table of Contents style that you set up, and by selecting "content order same as articles panel." Be sure to click on the Advanced tab and "split" the document by the Chapters' style.

If your document doesn't have the same style at the beginning of each chapter, you need to rethink the layout of the book. The only way to make it work is to split the document using a Chapter title style.

I just learned this today after chasing after tech support for a couple of weeks.