10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2012 8:06 PM by the_wine_snob

Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card

Jasmine2501

I bought a new computer so that I could edit videos from my new camera in something less than ten years, and even on the new computer, the performance SUCKS! It is horrible! It can't play my clips without going into "2 seconds per frame" mode and looking like crap. This means I really can't find the clipping spots at all. This is a 3.3GHz i5 machine with 8GB RAM, and it completely chokes trying to play 1080p clips with PE8 and it isn't very good with 1080i clips. I am not sure but I think this actually got WORSE after installing the video card (but it wasn't a huge difference either way). I have tried all kinds of combinations of the "GPU playback" and the "background rendering" settings, and I have tried various project settings, but I can't get it to preview clips worth a damn, so I really can't edit very well. Whenever I pause the playback, it takes time to stop, then it jitters into view somewhere other than where I wanted to stop. It is maddening! Please help!

I'm not sure if I am using the wrong project preset, if maybe I need a new one, or what? I'm using a Sony CX360 camera, shooting in 1080/60i or 1080/60p - the camera does not shoot in 720p, although it will shoot in 1080/24p which should be less data, but I haven't tried that. I've tried all the HD presets, but I have no idea which one is the *right* one to use, if any.

VEGAS WORKS GREAT! But I don't want to pay for it when I already paid for this. My system is way over and above the system requirements listed for "HD editing" for this software.

• 1. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Is that footage AVCHD, or some other flavor of H.264?

If so, that i5 is at the very bottom of the line to play that sort of footage back smoothly.

Also, how many physical HDD's does the system have?

You might be able to get more performance, from this ARTICLE. It starts with a checklist on getting PrE to run its best, then goes into links on tuning up the computer and the OS. Last, there are links for troubleshooting.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
            Jasmine2501 Level 1

OK thanks for that, it helped a little bit. I did forget to turn off the indexing service. Only had this machine for less than 24 hours, so I had some bad processes running, updaters and stuff, but nothing really invasive. I'm a programmer by trade, but I'm not a sysadmin and for the most part, Windows 7 works great so I don't tweak it a lot and I would not consider myself a Windows 7 administrator, not at all. For development, it's a great machine though, similar to the one I have at the office. Performance of PE8 IS better on this machine, but it isn't the silky smooth editing experience I wanted. I have seen HD editing on an iPad be pretty smooth, so it just doesn't make sense that a beefy desktop machine can't do it. And, I don't know if this helps figure out my issue or not, but Vegas gave me a very smooth editing experience with the exact same files. That leads me to believe the problem is the software or something about it, not the computer.

I am disappointed to hear that an i5 processor isn't quite good enough, it's the fastest one I could afford right now. However, I'm not sure of the actual codec on my files, or if I am importing them correctly. GSpot tells me it's a "mpeg-2 stream" but it doesn't tell me what the codec is. That suggests the file is non-standard in some way, which would totally explain the editor choking on it.

I was able to get the 1080/60i to work fairly smoothly with only some minor visual errors during playback (blotchy spots, not a problem), but it still chokes on the 1080/60p files. I can simply not use that mode for shooting, but it's a new camera and I wanted to sample all of the modes, and I accidentally filmed something important in 60p mode

I do have another internal hard drive to install into this machine too, and it might be faster than the one it came with. I will keep you updated. You're so helpful on this site, you deserve to know what worked for me! I hate it when people don't come back and confirm or thank. I'm a wicked active 'helper' on RCGroups.com so I know how much work it is!

Thanks again for being so helpful

• 3. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Was the editing on the iPad done with iMovie, or FCE? If so, they are creating proxy files from the HD materail, and they cannot natively edit AVCHD.

Now, the 60p material is likely never to edit really well in PrE. I would shoot 60i instead.

Try MediaInfo, to see if the CODEC is Advanced Video/H.264. With some files/file types, G-Spot, while a good utility, just does not provide the full info. You could also list the make/model of camera, and that will likely tell many here, exactly what the CODEC is.

Also, and especially for the 60p material, you will most likely have a red line above the Clips in the Timeline. If so, hit Enter/Return to Render the footage for smoothest playback. See this ARTICLE for more details on Rendering, and what it does. Note: matching the Project's Preset to match the Source Footage 100% relieves many, many issues.

As for the CPU, some users with very fast Quad-core units, have good luck, but an i7 is generally recommended. The speed, and cores can make a big difference with H.264 material, which is heavily compressed and needs a lot of horsepower to process.

With H.264 material, the CPU carries most of the load, but a good I/O can be helpful. With SD and HDV material, the I/O is the most important part of the chain. One will get best results from at least two, physical 7200RPM HDD's, with at least a SATA II connection, and ideally ~60GB of defragmented free-space. The best would be to separate all programs, and the OS, onto the C:\, with the Project, the media files and the Scratch Disks on D:\. Many get a boost by having a third physical HDD, and keeping the media on it, with the Project and Scratch Disks on the other, say E:\, but those benchmarks will likely be less than derived from adding the second, physical HDD, instead of using only one physical HDD for everything.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
                nealeh Level 5

Jasmine2501 wrote:

I was able to get the 1080/60i to work fairly smoothly with only some minor visual errors during playback (blotchy spots, not a problem), but it still chokes on the 1080/60p files. I can simply not use that mode for shooting, but it's a new camera and I wanted to sample all of the modes, and I accidentally filmed something important in 60p mode

PRE cannot work with your camera 1080p or 24fps modes. Your best bet is to convert it to 60i - the FAQ has some articles on doing this. I use Aimersoft Video Converter Pro for my conversions - their free version should work for you. If not just google free video converters and try them out until you find one that you like the most.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
                  Jasmine2501 Level 1

Yeah I was just meaning the iMovie demo at the store, so it's probably not HD files. I did suspect there was a trick happening. So, is there a way to work with proxy files in PE8? I did find http://forums.adobe.com/thread/486598 but it seems like a risky method?

It is a Sony CX360 camera, and the manual says it's AVCHD, so I guess that's what it is. I did find a different way to import the files from the camera so I will try that, but I was just copying the ".MTS" files directly from the SD card.

• 6. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not used OzPeter's workflow, but many have found it useful.

Possibley one of the best proxy workflows might be to use CineForm's NeoScene. I believe that they have a trail, and if so, would put it through its paces.

It was extremely popular, when AVCHD first hit. At one time, neither PrE, nor PrPro had the full capabilities to edit AVCHD, and many found that NeoScene was ideal. Then, PrE got AVCHD support (though not the progressive versions), and finally PrPro got that native support. [With many consumer formats/CODEC's, PrE often gets native support, before PrPro does.]

Now, and as of CS 5 (up to CS 5.5 now), PrPro, with the right equipement, can handle 1080 footage in all common progressive formats. With full CUDA support from the GPU, it can even do a great job of mixing formats/specs.. However, even with PrPro, one does need a stout CPU with all H.264 footage.

As for the files from the camera, your workflow of Copying the SD cards is correct. Just make sure to Copy the full folder structure, and all files in those folders/sub-folders. Do not just Copy the MTS files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
                      Jasmine2501 Level 1

BAM!

I got my 60p clip to play smoothly in the editor. Here's everything I did...

I optimized my system with all updates to drivers and Windows and such.

I removed everything I don't use, updaters, virus checkers, stuff that came with the machine - did most of that before I posted here.

I disabled the indexing service on the hard drive.

I installed the latest Quicktime

I turned ON the "GPU Playback" option (turning it OFF increases the visual issues during playback but doesn't affect smoothness)

All of that stuff made a minor improvement in the playback

I installed the project presets from here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2694134#2694134

Using the "Full HD 1080p" preset made the final difference. It plays smoothly now.

I will try the demo of the new version of Premiere and see what that does too. I also still have to install my spare hard drive - it's a 10K rpm 1TB drive.

Also I'm not sure what I will do with some events during the summer where we'll be using multiple cameras and trying to put them all into one movie. Maybe I can require everyone to use a Sony Handycam

• 8. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

As for the mixed format material, I strongly recommend that one start with multiple separate Projects, and do a rough edit in each.Then choose the ultimate Project (this will be your "master" and might be determined by the majority of the footage, or some other criteria). Then, when the rough edits from the various formats have been completed, each of those Projects would be Exported/Shared to the same format, as for the "master Project."

The alternative is to look into PrPro, and equipment to run it effectively, including a CUDA-capabable, certified video card, and then mixing footage can be fairly easily done, within certain limits.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
                          Jasmine2501 Level 1

Oh that's an excellent idea! I just render everything into a common format and use those files in a big project. Thanks!

My video card does say it has CUDA whatever that is

• 10. Re: Performance of PE8 SUCKS even with new machine and video card
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, CUDA capability will ONLY help with PrPro. PrE does not yet use the Mercury Playback Engine, as PrPro CS 5/5.5 does. In PrE, it will not be utilized, beyond the production of the graphics display.

Good luck,

Hunt