19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2012 5:40 AM by pjmarshalladobe

Corrupted images

pjmarshalladobe

When I move from my Premiere Elements Workspace to Organiser all my film clip images appear corrupted. I can see them perfectly clearly in Workspace but not in Organiser.  This is a brand new, recently installed programe.  Do I need to get it replaced or is there a fix?  Grateful for any advice.

• 1. Re: Corrupted images
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When one has display issues, the first thing that I suggest checking out is the video card's display driver.

What make/model of graphics card do you have?

What is the installed video driver?

Also, are the Images on an internal HDD, or are they located on either a networked driver, or external HDD?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more. I would also post a screen-cap of the Organizer, to show what the corruption looks like.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Corrupted images
            pjmarshalladobe Level 1

Many thanks for your lightning fast response!  However, as it's nearly midnight in England I hope you will forgive me for delaying a more substantive reply until tomorrow.  Thanks.  Peter

• 3. Re: Corrupted images
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are completely forgiven. I understand completely. We travel to London often, and hate it, when our friends and family, back in the States, call us - at 4:00AM!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Corrupted images
                pjmarshalladobe Level 1

Thanks for the initial reply.

By way of background, I bought Adobe Premiere Elements 10 a few days ago.  Because I had no prior experience of digital video editing, I also bought Adobe's "Premiere Elements 10 Classroom in a Book" to teach myself how to use the programme.  It worked perfectly for the first three lessons.  The corruption difficulties began only with Lesson 4 which deals with organizing content.  The content was imported from downloaded material from the CD-ROM which accompanied the book and which I saved in "My Documents".  Thumbnails are quite normal in the Workspace but are unviewable in Organizer.  A screen-cap is attached.  I have tried reloading the CD-ROM, to no avail.

I have also tried optimizing and repairing the thumbnails, but with no success.  They will, however, play in Organiser when I double-click on them.

Because the programme has worked properly, and because the clips/thumbnails display correctly in Workspace I am not sure that the graphics card is at fault.  However, I am running Windows 7 64-bit on a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with an Intel Core i5 CPU.  The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240.

Hope this will help you to help me.  Being new to this, and having about 40 hours of film to edit, I need all the help I can get!

If you are Bill Hunt, thanks for your comments on England.  We in turn love America.  I used to live in Atlanta and will be revisiting in May to see my daughter and her family in Alpharetta.  Her husband is called John Hunt!

Best wishes,

Peter

• 5. Re: Corrupted images
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

Hello again. First, I have no relatives in Atlanta, at least none that I know of. Going way back, my family was mostly architects (several generations of William Anderson Hunts) in the UK, but that was many generations ago, and none now will claim me...

I am a big fan of the Adobe Classroom in a Book series, and have dozens, for various versions, or various programs, though none for PrE, so thse comments are regarding other books in that series.

I have never had one issue with any of the files in other CiaB series, BUT I have read of some odd issues with material in CiaB PrE and also CiaB PrPro. For the latter, I have never had one issue, on my PC.

I wonder if it is the assets, included with the book? I need to get a copy for PrE, and give everything a good tryout.

IIRC, the current assets are in MOV format, to be X-platform. I wonder if it could be an issue with Apple's QuickTime Player. Organizer and the Source Monitor in PrE will be accessing the file on the HDD, but once Imported, and dragged to the Timeline, then there is processing, that takes place. Just a thought.

Good luck, and wish that I had more,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Corrupted images
                    nealeh Level 5

You are not the first to ask such questions about the PRE10 Classroom in a Book. As the Organizer always displays the first frame from a movie (and you cannot change this) it is quite likely that some of the Classroom in a Book movies start with a black frame.

pjmarshalladobe wrote:

I have also tried optimizing and repairing the thumbnails

How?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Corrupted images
                      pjmarshalladobe Level 1

Dear Neale,

Thanks.  My problem is that now they all start with a black or corrupted frame - a few days ago they did not.  Are you saying that I'm stuck with this problem?  If so, I'm tempted to return both products and order replacements.

Best wishes,

Peter

• 8. Re: Corrupted images
                        nealeh Level 5

I think you've found a bona-fide bug. Exactly the same happens to me if I import those files into EO10. And, as you say, drag them directly to the media panel in PRE, or even use Get Media from Files / Folders in PRE and the thumbnails show correctly in PRE.

You said that they used to show fine. Have you changed or added something to your system in the last few days? For my part I've recently updated my Nvidia graphics driver, my Logitech keyboard driver, and iTunes - any commonality with you?

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 9. Re: Corrupted images
                          pjmarshalladobe Level 1

Dear Nealeh,

Thanks for continuing to look into this for me.  The short answer is that I haven't made any changes to my system recently beyond updating QuickTime and checking for NVIDIA updates (there were none - my graphics were up to date).  I did uninstall and reinstall both PRE10 and the Classroom in a Book CD-ROM, neither of which solved the problem.  I have also tried dragging the clips directly from the CD-ROM as well as downloading them to a file on my hard drive first.  All the transferred images end up corrupted.

So I am stumped!

If this is a genuine bug, however, would you advise me to return the software and book I bought to Amazon?  I do need to have a reliable system in place as I shall shortly be receiving 40 hours-worth of movies on an external hard drive and will want to be able to get on with editing.

Thanks again for your interest in my problem.

Best wishes,

Peter

• 10. Re: Corrupted images
                            nealeh Level 5

Hmmmm. iTunes usually incorporates the most recent version of QuickTime - that you too have updated. PRE uses QuickTime for several of its MP4 / MOV activities. I think at the weekend I'll downdate to a previous version and see if that is the cause.

Note that a corrupt thumbnail in Organizer doesn't really effect the operation of Premiere Elements and you will be able to edit and share your movies as before. Indeed it is not necessary to use the Organizer at all if you have a preferred management program.

But if you are determined to return it then look up the order in your Amazon account and there should be a button for returning the items. I do suggest you first download and use the trial versions of other products you may be considering. And check their user forums as well - you will find most NLEs usually have their own problems and if PRE gives you what you want from the editing point of view I'd stick with it.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 11. Re: Corrupted images
                              nealeh Level 5

I couldn't wait until the weekend!

• I removed the Lesson 4 items from the catalog (do NOT tick delete files as well).
                              • Uninstalled QuickTime.
                              • Added the items back to  the catalog.

The thumbnails now display correctly. I reinstalled QuickTime and the thumbnails remained good. But if I again remove them from the catalog they corrupt again when I add them back.

I tried this with QT 7.7 and 7.6. Obviously not ideal but, as a workaround, you could uninstall QuickTime, add your forty hours of movies and let the thumbnails create themselves properly, reinstall QuickTime.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 12. Re: Corrupted images
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, potentially an issue with the newest QT Player. That was one reason that I stayed with 7.3.5, until 7.5.5 came out. Two to three versions, in between, were horrible with Adobe programs, so I skipped them. I then stayed with 7.5.5 for a very long time, before testing 7.6.7. I will stick with that, until I have a real need to upgrade.

When I upgrade iTunes, I refuse to upgrade QT Player, even if I do not get some new features, until I can test the latest release of QT Player with my Adobe programs. I know that Apple had a real "hate-on" for Flash, but it almost seems that their venom is directed at most things Adobe?

Thanks for posting your tests - I'll just keep 7.6.7,until I am forced to change.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Corrupted images
                                  nealeh Level 5

Bill Hunt wrote:

Thanks for posting your tests - I'll just keep 7.6.7,until I am forced to change.

v7.6 also produces the thumbnail error (I've not tested the minor release). I believe that the Organizer is the problem and not QT. PRE produces the correct thumbnails, EO does not. And QT v7.6 was first released in January 2009.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 14. Re: Corrupted images
                                    pjmarshalladobe Level 1

Dear Neale,

Thanks again for trying to find a solution to this issue.  I have just tried uninstalling QT, moving media to the Organiser, and then re-installing QTv.7.  The thumbnails in Organiser now all look like pieces of film with a start play button in the middle.  Please see the screen-cap attachment.

I'm beginning to agree with you about insanity - we have four kids!

Best wishes

Peter

• 15. Re: Corrupted images
                                      pjmarshalladobe Level 1

Sorry - forgot the attachment!

• 16. Re: Corrupted images
                                        nealeh Level 5

pjmarshalladobe wrote:

I have just tried uninstalling QT, moving media to the Organiser, and then re-installing QTv.7.  The thumbnails in Organiser now all look like pieces of film with a start play button in the middle.

Select the media in EO and 'update thumbnail' BEFORE reinstalling QT.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 17. Re: Corrupted images
                                          pjmarshalladobe Level 1

Dear Neale,

I've just tried this.  I uninstalled QT, imported media from Lesson 5 in "Classroom", selected it all and "updated thumbnails". I then re-installed QT v7.7.1.  The still photos which I imported show up properly.  Unfortunately, the movie clip thumbnails remained looking like pieces of blank film with a start play button in the middle.  See today's screen-cap!

I'm really sorry to keep presenting you with this same challenge but if you have any further ideas . . .

Best wishes,

Peter

• 18. Re: Corrupted images
                                            nealeh Level 5

AFTER uninstalling QT and BEFORE freshly importing the Lesson 5 media you should have deleted from your catalog the existing entries for the Lesson 5 items. If you did that then I'm out of ideas. It worked and failed for me exactly as I described and was repeatable, so I can only think you have something else going on and it might be time for you to contact Adobe (see the link at the bottom of this page).

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 19. Re: Corrupted images
                                              pjmarshalladobe Level 1

Thanks, again, Neale.  That's exactly what I did.  Adobe it is.

Best wishes,

Peter