4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2012 11:49 AM by M Blackburn

Booklet/Spread quality

PerryW

Hi,

I'm bound to be missing something obvious, this shouldn't be as hard as I'm finding it.

I have a four page a4 flyer that I need to get printed as booklet (folded A3 printed both sides)

The best quote I have at an acceptable quality requires me to send the printer a PDF of two sheets of A3 with a 2mm bleed - ie p1 & 4 on one sheet, 2 & 3 on the other

I can do that...

Except, I'm having real problems with PDF quality (this is CS5 Windows BTW)

Exporting to PDF allows me to choose one of the high quality settings - but no matter how much I play with spreads I can't get booklet printing - best I can do is three sheets 1, 2&3, 4

If I use 'Print Booklet' from the menu, I get the layout I want, but can't see any way of stopping it from downsampling images to a much lower quality - print settings don't offer the 'do not down downsample' option that is present in the export settings

So, what am I missing???

Thanks

• 1. Re: Booklet/Spread quality
          PerryW Level 1

That's annoying, just searched here again and found

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2664838#2664838

Not the most obvious of workflows, but it does the job!

• 2. Re: Booklet/Spread quality
            M Blackburn Level 3

I haven't had a printer ask for printer spreads in years. I always give single pages and let them do the imposition.

Nontheless, if you want to do printer spreads, and you don't want to deal with print booklet, you will have to set your file up with that end in mind. Turn off Allow pages to shuffle, drag page 4 up beside page 1. Export with your preferred job options and with Spreads checked.

• 3. Re: Booklet/Spread quality
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Eric Thribb wrote:

That's annoying, just searched here again and found

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2664838#2664838

Not the most obvious of workflows, but it does the job!

Not sure waht you took away from that other thread...

On Windows using Print Booklet to make a PDF is pretty straight forward -- you just select the AdobePDF virtual printer installed with Acrobat Pro. Of you don't have the virtual printer, printing to file won't help much becasue you also won't have Distiller (the virtual printer is just a one-step shortcut to doing a print-to-file-then-distill workflow).

The manual methos of shuffling works great for 4 pages. For more than that youj might want to look at a script. My favorite is from Dave Saunders and is quite old, so you might need to run it in a "Version 4.0 Scripts" (without the quotes) subfolder of your scripts panel folder. You'll find that one at http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip

The downside to the above script is it cannot handle objects that cross the spine, nor does it do creep, so Dave wrote another script that places pages into a new doc in single-page imposed spreads (still no creep, though). This one is also old (written for CS3) and may need to be in a Version 5.0 Scripts subfolder: Dave's CS3 Booklet Script

• 4. Re: Booklet/Spread quality
                M Blackburn Level 3

nix this comment