9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2012 9:34 AM by BobLevine

Red not printing; CS5.5.

Precise Formwork Level 1

I've designed something in indesign cs5.5. and I'm trying to print. The document is cmyk, I have tried printing from indesign. Red is not coming out as yellow. Tried exporting as pdf, converting to destination 'coated GRACol 2006'. Nothing has worked; still comes out as yellow. Anyone got any ideas?

Getting a nuisance having to export different filetypes all time also as computer is getting cluttered.

Any info appreciated.

• 1. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Precise Formwork wrote:

Red is not coming out as yellow. Tried exporting as pdf, converting to destination 'coated GRACol 2006'.

I presume the "not" is a typo?

You said this is CMYK, but it sounds an awful lot like spot colors and an alias. What do you see on screen when you turn on Separations preview?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.
            Precise Formwork Level 1

Pete,

Thanks for your reply; not is a typo sorry for that. You genius, when I turn on separations preview I see

cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

At first I only saw yellow and black, but then I opened the window up and the other colours were there. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help and time.

Regards

• 3. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.

OK, I'm not sure we are communicating here. I meant when separations preview is turned on, is the red red, or is it showing as yellow?

If it's yellow, you have an issue with aliasing of spot colors, EVEN IF you also have "convert all Spots to Process" checked in the Ink Manager. If the alias was applied before the conversion, it would cascade through and your red would be converted to a process yellow version of the yellow spot to which it is aliased.

• 4. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

Sounds like your printer is out of magenta. What are the cmy values of the Red? What does it look like in Overprint Preview?

• 5. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.

Daniel Flavin wrote:

Sounds like your printer is out of magenta. What are the cmy values of the Red? What does it look like in Overprint Preview?

Well, see, that's the other possibility, but I wanted to make sure it was really sending red first.

I wasn't going to ask until the other was verified, but I suppose now, in line with that, we ought to find out if red prints from other apps and from another ID file...

• 6. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.
                    Precise Formwork Level 1

Thanks for your input guys, Pete it's me; sorry I'm not too experienced. Thanks for persevering.

Red is showing as red in cmyk, in overprint preview it is showing as red. Originally I thought printer was out of ink, as levels were low anyway. Yet when low it still prints correctly. So I changed the inks anyway; still happening so it has to be deeper than that.

This is a head-scratcher.

Thanks for correspondence to date.

• 7. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.

Do other files print correctly from ID? Can you copy a red object from this file into a new file and get it to print Red?

• 8. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.
                        Precise Formwork Level 1

So sorry to have wasted your time on this; I have just printed the colour from various programmes. The fault is with the printer. I am cleaning it and all that jazz now.

Out of interest though when I do go to print from indesign, > print > output> 'colour' (under output) - I am only able to select composite rgb or composite gray.

Composite CMYK is unavailable to select; any ideas what this is?

Sorry again.

• 9. Re: Red not printing; CS5.5.
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CMYK is only available to postscript devices.

Bob