3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 1:41 AM by Mylenium

jagged edges because of oversaturated colors with XDCAM EX

Kaktus27

Hi,

i want to export a movie created in after effects as XDCAM EX 1080i50. My problem is, that i get jagged edges in the output file because of the oversaturated color im using in my After Effects composition. In the picture below you can see the star with the magenta color which has the jagged edges. With yellow i dont have this problem. Is there a Matrix of supported colors in XDCAM EX or another solution for this problem?

Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-18 um 22.25.51.png

• 1. Re: jagged edges because of oversaturated colors with XDCAM EX
          TimeRemapper Level 4

I'm not sold that it's the over-saturated color. It may be that your magenta star layer in your timeline (or precomp) is set to "draft" quality.

• 2. Re: jagged edges because of oversaturated colors with XDCAM EX
            Kaktus27 Level 1

The stars above have all been created in the same layer. Blue and Yellow looks ok but the magenta has always the jagged edges. I get sharp edges if i change the color to less magenta and more white. It has to be something with the colors. I already tried the effect of broadcast compatible colors or how it sounds but without succes.

My workflow for export / import:

Export in after effects cs 5.5 to QT422 HQ 1920 x 1080

import in premiere cs5.5 in XDCAM EX sequence 1920 x 1080

export to XDCAM EX 1920 x 1080 i 50

if i export in premiere to QT 422 HQ it looks ok also with the magenta.Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-19 um 09.30.47.png

• 3. Re: jagged edges because of oversaturated colors with XDCAM EX
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Don't think this has anything to do with saturation. The CoDec would handle this, anyway. Rather what I see is simply some unfavorable angle combined with two colors being near each other that represent the two opposite extremes of YCbCr color space. There may be some odd scaling, also, causing softening, but per se there is nothing wrong within what the chosen output format can or cannot do. Sure, it can be improved upon e.g. by choosing slightly different colors and slightly different angles, but you will always have to comkpromise due to the compression.

Mylenium