6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 8:34 PM by DHM711

Hang during rendering 10.6.8

DHM711

I recently updated to 10.6.8 and now am getting very regular complete computer freezes during rendering in AE CS/5 - all latest versions. I have to either unplug my system or sit on the power button for a good bit of time.

The computer sounds as if it is accessing the drive but there is no response whatsoever to any user actions.

I have 16 GB RAM with 13 dedicated to AE and am running a two-drive RAID. This is a huge time waster and was never a problem before I updated my OS.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dennis

additional details:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT:

Chipset Model:    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Type:    GPU

Bus:    PCIe

Slot:    Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width:    x16

VRAM (Total):    512 MB

Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:    0x0611

Revision ID:    0x00a2

ROM Revision:    3233

Displays

• 1. Re: Hang during rendering 10.6.8
          TimeRemapper Level 4

It looks like your additional details may have been truncated.

Can you provide some more info about the project that you're trying to render? Does it happen with all projects/all comps, or just one in particular? Are you rendering to the RAID array, locally, network (same for source footage)? What's the nature of your source footage (if any), and what's the nature of your output module(s)?

• 2. Re: Hang during rendering 10.6.8
            DHM711 Level 1

Hi. No other details than the video stuff (yes, the last line was lost but that;s it).

Well this happens 8 of 10 times, regardless of what I am rendering. It could be two tracks or 6, rendering either to None for compression or just as often H 264. I start to hear a lot of disk I/O and I can wait overnight without ever getting back control of my machine. Not able to Force Quit - no response at all from the machine. Rendering out to the RAID in all occassions, but have checked that (Disk Warrior, et al) and no issues reported, Also ran Rember overnight with no issues reported. The footage is usually compter generated animation (rendered as uncompressed/None) at either 900 x 600 or 1920 x 1080. Output modules is None, 1920 x 1080 or 900 x 600... just doesn;t seem to matter what I attempt to do.

No toher problmes with FCP, PS/ CS5, Cinema 4D or any other video/animation or audio apps.

Extremely frustrating.

• 3. Re: Hang during rendering 10.6.8
              TimeRemapper Level 4

You mention that you're rendering out to the RAID in all occasions. For the sake of troubleshooting the issue, can you try rendering to a local drive? Your desktop perhaps?

• 4. Re: Hang during rendering 10.6.8
                DHM711 Level 1

Sure thing. Happy to try that though in the past two or so years prior to 10.6.8, I never had a problem of this type.

Will give that a try.

Best.

Dennis

• 5. Re: Hang during rendering 10.6.8
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I see a couple of things:

You gave additional details about the Nvidia card, which could mean you're trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering.  If so, turn it off.  Leave it off.  Open GL acceleration does more harm than good in almost all cases.

You might want to re-evaluate your processor & memory allocations.  As pointed out here, it may be better to leave more memory for other applications even though it seems counter-intuitive.

• 6. Re: Hang during rendering 10.6.8
                    DHM711 Level 1

Tonight I loaded a 30" 1920 x 1080 video onto a track and adjusted the starting position. I then tried to preview the track and got the total system freeze, complete with disk I/O sounds. Didn;t even have a chance to try a render to my system drive.

This is driving me completely insane and killing way too much time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DM