1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 3:09 PM by groove25

Missing Layers When I Duplicate Document and Open in Fireworks... Where are Layers?

SB&B

I am very new to fireworks, but have good directions... that is if they worked.  I have accomplished duplicating and opening a fireworks template that has been created for me.  Once I am in fireworks with this template, the issue is none of the Layers show.  It shows as 1 bitemap equal to the entire template.  Therefore I can't play with Layers, Edit Images, Text, etc. 

Why are the Layers missing?

How can I find them?

The "eye" icons are next to each of the available options.

Please advise...

• 1. Re: Missing Layers When I Duplicate Document and Open in Fireworks... Where are Layers?
          groove25 Level 4

It sounds as if you may have a flattened file... What is the file type that you're working with? Fireworks' native file type is called "Fireworks PNG", and its extension is simply PNG (which unfortunately makes it hard to distinguish from a standard PNG). Some file types, such as JPEG, GIF, and flattened PNG, don't support editable layers, vectors, or text objects.

If the file does contain layers, they will be visible in the Layers panel. You can click on the "triangle" icon next to a layer (the folder icon) to see the object(s) contained in that layer. The "eye" icons next to each layer or object affect the visibility of those objects on the canvas.

If you see only a single object in the Layers panel, then your file was likely flattened. It may have been saved incorrectly, or its purpose and/or contents may have been miscommunicated to you.