8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 7:58 PM by LZecca77

What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project

LZecca77

I am trying to take video from a standard def DVD that I have already made and put it into another Premiere Elements 10 Project. 

So far, I have tried importing the video on the DVD by using the Hard Disk, Flash Memory, Camcorder (Standard  48Khz) preset and importing it from the DVD drive.  The video imports, but when I put the clip in the timeline, it looks awful and doesn't fill the screen.  It's in a box within the screen.

I read in a Muvipix book that this is how I should import all video from a PC drive.  Is there something else that has to be done? 

The same thing is happening on completed videos that I have created and saved to the Video folder in my PC.  When I try to put them into another Premiere Elements 10 project, the resolution is terrible.  I'm not quite sure which preset to use.

Please help.

• 1. Re: What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You are doing exactly the right thing. Your project should be set up for Hard Disk Camcorder video (standard definition) and you should place the DVD in your computer's DVD player and use Get Media/From DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive to rip the files from the disc into your project.

Because of the nature of DVD files, you'll need to render your video as you work, whenever you see a red line above the clips on your timeline. (Press Enter.) When those red lines are green, your video should play as well and look as good as the originals.

If the video isn't filling your video frame, something is definitely wrong with your set-up. If you go to Edit/Project Properties, what specs does it show? (Even better if you can post a screen capture of it so we can look at it.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If the material from the Imported VOB is not filling the screen, it means that the Project Preset that you chose is NOT SD (either Standard 4:3,or Widescreen 16:9 - depends on which was used to create the DVD). Note in Steve's reply, he mentions "(standard definition).)You obviously chose one of the "Hard Disck Camcorder" HD Presets, hence the difference in Frame Size.

I also recommend Copying over the full VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD-Video, and then Importing the VOB's from the internal HDD, rather than directly from the DVD disc in a multi-drive. That will do two things: speed things up greatly and remove the need to always have that DVD-Video disc. in the multi-drive, every time you edit this Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project
              LZecca77 Level 1

Steve,

I'm having trouble getting a screen shot.   Can you tell me how to do that?  I tried to Ctrl/Print Scrn, but that must not work in this application.

Yes, I am rendering the video and the rendered video is what looks bad.   I also looked in Edit/Project Settings and under General, it is showing me 720 x 480.  Under the Editing Mode tab, it is showing DV NTSC.  I definitely chose the Hard Disk, Flash Memory option (standard 48Khz).

I didn't accept the message that says that the video is not properly matched to the project setting.  I did not allow PE10 to change my setting.

It also has Pixel Aspect Ratio - D1/DV NTSC

I don't know if you need this, but the Capture Format is on DV.  Video Render is Compressor - DV NTSC and Optimize Stills is checked.

Any idea on what's happening?

Lisy

• 4. Re: What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Lisy,

This ARTICLE will step you through one workflow for posting screen-caps to the forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There are two elements here, but it seems that you have addressed both.

First, there is the Project settings, which should be NTSC (for NTSC-land, or PAL for PAL-land), DV in either Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9, depending on the DVD-Video, that you are using as your source.

Next, there is how you Get Media, and since you are doing that from VOB's, it will be the Harddrive Camera setting there. This will Import the MPEG-2 files, wrapped in the VOB container, with the correct Field Order.

Not sure why PrE is complaining about the Project, unless you chose Standard, and have Widescreen, or vice versa.

Now, you are not really Capturing, as that is from either an SD miniDV tape, or HDV, also from a nimiDV tape, but one shot in HD.

What you are doing is Importing the MPEG-2 file(s). It's the same if one had HD, like AVCHD, originally filmed to an SD, or other Flash Media card.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project
                    LZecca77 Level 1

Ok, here's what I used when I produced the original project. I made a video photo album.  I resized the pics to 1000 x 750 (72dpi).  I used Preset DSLR-480p-DSLR640x480p60.  Brought the resized pics into my project and made my video photo album.  Then, when I shared and burned to DVD, I used the NTSC Dolby DVD version (not Widescreen).  So, that's my DVD.

Now, I want to use some of that in a new project.  I'm purposely trying to use the album again without having to do the entire thing over.  I'm using Hard Disk, Flash Memory, Camcorder (standard 48 khz) and it looks very pixelated even with the timeline rendered.  Does it have something to do with the fact that they are photos and not video?  I hadn't thought of that until now.

I guess if I have any hi-def video footage, it better be on a BD before I import it from the PC drive into a PE10 project?   Do I use the same project setting....(Hard Disk, Fash Mem, Cam Standard 48khz)?

Lisy

• 7. Re: What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have Still Images of 1000 x 750, and Import them into a DV Project, they should not be too small. That will only happen, if one is Importing material, that is smaller, than the Frame Size of the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: What preset do I use to take video from a DVD or video on my PC to  import to a PE10 project
                        LZecca77 Level 1

I just set a new project to the same Preset used in the original video photo album that I made and burned to DVD.  I brought the VOB into the project and used Flicker Removal (under Field Options) and everything worked out.

So, in other words, I used the DSLR-480p-DSLR640x480p60 preset to start a new project.  Then, I brought the video photo album that I had on the DVD (and on my PC) back into Premiere Elements using GET MEDIA and it looked fine.

Thanks for the help, Hunt & Steve.

Lisy