4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 6:02 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Text won't show

ddmm888

I just purchased CS5.5 and in photoshop the text doesn't appear after I create a transparent banner and try to use the type tool. I tried reseting the tool and resetting the preferences as advised online. The tool worked fine last week.

• 1. Re: Text won't show
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Do you have a Text layer, and it is not hidden by other layers higher up the stack?  Try using Free Transform on the text layer to see how large the Bounding box is.  If tiny, then problem solved - the type is too small to see. 

If the size you expected, then look at the text colour - is it the same as the background colour.

What is the Text layer Blend mode?  Start with it on Normal.

Try a Layer style on the text layer - add a Stroke, or Drop shadow.  All these things will give clues as to what is going on.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Text won't show
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

• 3. Re: Text won't show
              ddmm888 Level 1

Thank you for responding to this post. I figured it out after much head-banging. The size of the box was mysteriously set to inches instead of pixels.

• 4. Re: Text won't show
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

You can change the defualt for Type size in Preferences > Units & Rulers, but there is disagreement about what is best choice.  Personally I prefer mm to pixels (I have Rulers set to cm) because I know the physical (print) size of whatever image file I am working on, and mm is more predictable than pixels.  It is also less hastle because if your ducument is >=5000 pixels high, then the maximum available size from the drop down of 72 pixels will be hardly visible on the screen!  Can that be overcome anyone?  I also find adjusting the physical image size (without changing its pixel dimaensions) the best way of adjusting Grid density.  I use the Grid all the time, which possibly comes from my using Autocad for many years.