8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 8:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Very bad resolution in menus (templates)

gardie10 Level 1

I have a number of films taken with a camcorder Canon Vixia HF10. The camera settings are set to NTSC with frame rate 60, AVCHD.

In my iMac (OS X vers.10.7.3), I tried first to edit my movies in iMovie, but soon I discovered that iMovie did not properly manage the  AVCHD format.

With Adobe's Premiere Elements , I could however handle the AVCHD format in an excellent manner. But when I got to the final stage to create a menu

of my film footage (where I used Premiere's menu templates) the menus were very bad with poor resolutions. I could see this both at "preview" and on DVD.

The actual films were great with a real AVCHD resolution on DVD.

Why does this happen to the menus? Do I need to burn out my movies without menus?

• 1. Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you use an HD Menu Set, or and SD Menu Set. As your AVCHD material is HD, you should use only an HD Menu Set.

I also assume that you chose the proper Preset at New Project, to match your footage 100%. Is that correct, or did you choose something else.

For the HD Project from that footage, you should be authoring a BD (Blu-ray Disc) and not a DVD, which is SD, and not HD, like the footage. Did you mean BD, when you typed "DVD?"

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you Preview your DVD menus, you're looking at a very low resolution version of what your final disc output will look like. The purpose of Previewing is to test navigation. The video and menus will look much nicer once the file is rendered and output as a DVD or BluRay.

• 3. Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)
              gardie10 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have only used HD Menu Sets.

But which one of the Available Presets in Project settings shall I use according to my camera settings (see my first question)?

gardie10

19 mar 2012 kl. 15:35 skrev Bill Hunt:

Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)

created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Did you use an HD Menu Set, or and SD Menu Set. As your AVCHD material is HD, you should use only an HD Menu Set.

I also assume that you chose the proper Preset at New Project, to match your footage 100%. Is that correct, or did you choose something else.

For the HD Project from that footage, you should be authoring a BD (Blu-ray Disc) and not a DVD, which is SD, and not HD, like the footage. Did you mean BD, when you typed "DVD?"

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4275606#4275606

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4275606#4275606. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 4. Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)
                gardie10 Level 1

I'm sorry but I don't understand you quite well.

I have no BD burner so I just want to get the best quality of my films when burning to a DVD.

Which preset shall I then choose of all the alternatives in the Available Presets table when I start a new project?

And which type of menu sets shall I use then?

Gardie10

19 mar 2012 kl. 15:35 skrev Bill Hunt:

Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)

created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Gardie10

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4275606#4275606

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4275606#4275606. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 5. Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are working with HD footage, in an HD Project, and then using HD Menus to author to DVD-Video. That leads to major down-rezzing, and it will never be good quality.

Instead, if you do not have a BD burner, and need to burn a DVD-Video, when you have edited your HD Project, Export/Share to DV-AVI Widescreen. Then create an SD Widescreen Project, Import that Exported/Shared DV-AVI into it, and author with SD Menu Sets. When done, burn to DVD-Video.

There is another workflow for going from an HD Project to SD, with ultimate quality, and one would insert that workflow instead of the Export/Share to SD, via DV-AVI. It can be found HERE, and uses open source programs, to complete the task. Then, one would create the SD Widescreen Project, and author, as above.

I am not surprised that your HD Menus look bad, when down-rezzed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)
                    nealeh Level 5

gardie10 wrote:

I have no BD burner so I just want to get the best quality of my films when burning to a DVD.

If you are burning to DVD for playing on a DVD Player then you are burning Standard Definition output (720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL). PRE will down-size your AVCHD footage to Standard Definition and usually does a good job. But you should be using one of the Standard Definition Menu sets to match the DVD Output. The HD menus are for when you ARE burning to Blu-Ray.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)
                      Ted Smith Level 3

I have made some AVCHD DVDs on ordinary blank DVDs using the Share to AVCHD.

They look identical to Blue Ray when played on my Blue Ray player but you can only get 20 minutes on a disk.

If you only have a standard DVD player you can share the final edited HD out to DVD and the result should be the about same as if you had made shot the material on SD anyway when you observe the final result on an old standard DVD player (but not on your computer because it can see all the warts)

The limitation is often how good your DVD player is

You'd be surprised how much better old standard DVDs look when played on a good Blue Ray player that upscales to 1900x1080 on a full HD TV set

• 8. Re: Very bad resolution in menus (templates)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

I completely agree with you, on the enhanced up-rezzing of a good BD, or even up-rezzing DVD player. Their dedicated up-rezzing chips are astounding. My DVD's never looked so good, and I had never expected them to do so. Now, while not up to BD standards, they were greatly enhanced, over playing them on an older DVD player to my 35" CRT TV. What a difference!

Thanks for the tip on the AVCHD discs too. More and more BD players are AVCHD-capable, so I will have to give that a go. I think that three of my BD players are AVCHD-capable.

Hunt