2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 11:56 AM by [Jongware]

complicated find/change question

Jane Smith 2300

Hi,

I am hoping someone could help me with a complicated find/change question (complicated, for me, at least).

I have a dictionary file comprised of dozens of pages. Each line of entry is as follows:

(font 1) xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx (font 2) xxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  [the lefthand side of the entry is one or more words in a certain font {English definition}, followed by the word or words in a foreign language {foreign definition}--all written with English characters--but in a different font]

The entry is easy to read, at this point, because of the two differing fonts.

But now I have to change the entries to all be in the same font so I want to insert a / or a | after the English entry (or find some way to differentiate between each part of the entry and I have to use the same font, font size, and font style, so it would look like this:

(font 1) xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx / (font 1) xxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx

(font 1) xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx / (font 1) xxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx 

etc.

OR

(font 1) xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx | (font 1) xxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx

(font 1) xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx | (font 1) xxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx 

etc.

OR

(font 1) xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

(font 1) xxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx

<space>

(font 1) xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

(font 1) xxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx

etc.

Can someone tell me how to accomplish any of the above?

I have not used any styles up to this point.

Thanks for any help offered.

Phil

• 1. Re: complicated find/change question
          SusanSherman Level 1

Phil, I'm not sure using styles will help you at this point, but let me get a couple of other pieces of information from you.

• What version of InDesign are you using?
          • Are all of the items contained within one text box on each page?
          • When the file was created, how did you change the font for the definitions?  (In other words, were font styles changed by going to the top of the page and selecting "font 2" from the dropdown menu when you began typing the foreign definition or was a script written or other?)

Susan

• 2. Re: complicated find/change question
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

>I have not used any styles up to this point.

Ouch. Are you regretting this already? ;-)

Fortunately, the solution doesn't need styles -- it needs a GREP search-and-replace. (Hey, come back! It's not as scary as it sounds!)

What tou want is to search for text in Font 2 and replace it with itself but then in Dont 1' and with the separator of your choice before it. Use this GREP to do so, all in one step. In Find What, type

.+

In Replace with, type

| $0

(there is a space before and after that pipe). In the Find Formatting field, go to Basic Formatting and enter the name of Font 2 in the font field. It will also fill in "Regular" in the style field, and if you didn't use any italics or bolds, you can leave it there. If you did, make it blank (delete "Regular").

In the Change Formatting field, enter Font 2 in the same place.

Then hit the Change All button and lean back.

You might want to make sure you saved your document before doing so, in case your text is not as strictly formatted as you would hope.