2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 1:46 PM by felix1987

bib.dll crashing PS 5.1

felix1987

Hey everyone,

I've come across what I strongly suspect is a weird font issue that's preventing me from working. Until today, PS has never acted up before. I'm running 64-bit Photoshop, v12.1. My work .psd was based on a toolkit .psd off the web - I was missing a font, and I substituted it with my own (one version of Helvetica Neue for another). But the moment I tried to edit the text, PS crashed on me. I reopened, worked on it for a couple more hours, when it crashed again doing the same action. After that I could not open either my own working file, nor the toolkit file.

The crash log says this:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    Photoshop.exe

Application Version:    12.1.0.0

Application Timestamp:    4d90d339

Fault Module Name:    BIB.dll

Fault Module Version:    1.2.2.12130

Fault Module Timestamp:    4d077745

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    00000000000154dd

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    13eb

Additional Information 2:    13eb96961af4137840a8c77088b2606e

Additional Information 3:    18b1

Additional Information 4:    18b189364cc7acc5c20656c1fe72cd84

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

When I came across similar font issues like this one in AE I'd just deinstall the suspect fonts and things are good to go again. However even with my Helvetica removed the .psd files fail to open. I've had a coworker open the psd files on his computer with no issues (same machine and sofware specs), and I've also tried to have him change all the type to a default font and saving it as another file name, but even then I cannot open the file. I then began to suspect something was wrong with my PS, so I did a reset of my preferences and blew away my user settings. When that didn't work, I also had PS reinstalled -- still no luck.

Any suggestions how to move forward with this? I don't care so much about losing my current work file, but if I'm unable to even open up my toolkit .psd then I can't do anything. Are there other file formats I can save these files as (does that even change anything)?