6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2012 11:01 AM by adriano35

Premiere Elements 9.0 crashes when adding new media

ShazarTru

whether I am creating a New Project, or editing an existing one, whenever I try to add new media by clicking on the 'Organize' tab then 'Get Media', then 'Files and Folders', Premiere Elements 9.0 will crash. If I click the 'up one level' button, it crashes instantly with no warning, message, etc. If I try navigating to the folder through the drop down 'Look In: ' selector, it gives me a message box as follows:

"Adobe Premiere Elements 9 has stopped working

windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

>Check online for a solution and close the program

>Close the program

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Application Version:    9.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:    4c86effb

Fault Module Name:    mfds.dll

Fault Module Version:    12.0.7601.17514

Fault Module Timestamp:    4ce7b888

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    00011371

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    5703

Additional Information 2:    570326fc867612155d23524051696ceb

Additional Information 3:    fe46

Additional Information 4:    fe46c833be449fea915844cb0267ca99

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt"

I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling the program to no avail. Any help or lead in resolving this problem will be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Brian

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 crashes when adding new media
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating are you using?

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 crashes when adding new media
            ShazarTru Level 1

"What operating are you using?"

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

"How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?"

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB

C drive free space: 53.4 GB; last defrag'd on 03/14/2012

"What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?"

Camcorder Model: Canon Vixia HF20

Format: AVCHD

Resolution: LP (5Mbps); 1440x1080

Framerate: 29 frames/second

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 crashes when adding new media
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, that is a Media Foundation Direct Show module.

PrE (and PrPro) has not used Direct Show for some time now.

Do you have FFDShow installed, maybe as part of K-Lite, or some other CODEC pack?

If so, that could well be the issue, as FFDShow has killed many versions of PrE and PrPro. I would check to see if it loads at bootup, with MSCONFIG.

Also, see this ARTICLE on PrE Crashing or Hanging. Down in the troubleshooting section, there is a link to Finding Clues. I would read that link, and follow the steps outlined in it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 crashes when adding new media
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's possible you're a bit tight on hard drive space for editing AVCHD.

Also, I'm assuming you've got the latest version of Quicktime and that you've manually gone to Windows Update to ensure you have even the non-critical updates.

But try starting a new project in Premiere Elements. Make sure it's set up for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 and either 5.1 audio or stereo (depending on how you've got it set up in your camcorder).

Plug your camcorder into your computer and, rather than using the Organizer, use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip AVCHD or Hard Disk Camera to import the video from the camcorder to your computer. (In fact, dont' even open the Organizer.)

If you're still getting crashes, try running Advanced System Care Free's Deep Care tune-up to clear the junk files away.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 crashes when adding new media
                  Aniks Level 2

I don't think, your free space should be an issue or anything to do with THIS crash.

When you say, up one folder, or Look in feature, you are talking about media on your local drive or some external drive?

If it is only happening with external drive/camera, try copying you media locally and then import.

If it is happening everytime with media stored in local hard drive also, then, I think you need to contact Adobe support.

Thanks,

Aniks

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 crashes when adding new media
                    adriano35

Media Foundation and DirectShow are two totally different rendering frameworks.